Python to Ruby Tutorial (need collborators)

Hello all,
I am a Python programmer and a Ruby Nuby. I have not found a guide
available for Python programmers wishing to learn Ruby. I know Python
and would like to write a tut so future people in my position can make
the change easier.

Would anybody who knows the Ruby language care to get involved in this
project?

I want to set up some examples like -- How do you handle situations in
Ruby where you would use a list comprehension in Python? for example
to iterate over a container selecting the items that pass a test [obj
for obj in list if obj.attribute == this] ,etc, etc...

This would help to break the ice.

Julian Leviston

some_array.select{|item| item>5}

For example

Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning
python too? I'd be interested in that.

Sent from my iPhone

some_array.select{|item| item>5}
Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning
python too? I'd be interested in that.

Absolutely! Ruby<->Python.

As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
contact me.

Matt Lawrence

As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
contact me.

Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

James Britt

r said:
As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.

Completely false.

There are a few people who like making inflammatory posts, that's all.
It does not reflect how the majority of users of each language feel
about the other.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

znmeb

Quoting Matt Lawrence said:
Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think
you will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
never had a need or desire to learn it.

Phlip

I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
never had a need or desire to learn it.

I have >2 years flight time with Python, and I try very hard not to add to the
"bad blood" in these forums. Sometimes...

Phlip

Matt said:
Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

+1

Excellent way to damn with faint praise!!

Yaser Sulaiman

Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning python
too? I'd be interested in that.

+1!

Regards,
Yaser

Robert Dober

Completely false.
Agreed. However Python seems to stand in my way. But that might be my
fault. Maybe working with someone who knows Python well would help me
to like it better. Thus I am quite interested.
Python really saved my day once or twice as a sysadmin, but I did
never fall in love with it.
Anyway I am quite interested in contributing.
There are a few people who like making inflammatory posts, that's all. It
does not reflect how the majority of users of each language feel about the
other.
A question James, did _we_? I do not really recall. Did _they_? I do
not really care ;).

Cheers
Robert

Robert Dober

OK!, OK! no bad blood then. I was wrong. Don't beat me to death with a
wet noodle here. :)
Of course not, just tell us with what you want be beaten to death and
we happily will comply ;)
But why not start, I feel that list comprehension is a great idea.
R.

Yossef Mendelssohn

We need to focus on the goal, and that is writing
a bidirectional Ruby<->Python tut.

How do you propose to organize this?

I'm going to go the geek route and suggest someone set up a GitHub
repo.

How do you propose to organize this?
I'm going to go the geek route and suggest someone set up a GitHub
repo.

I was thinking a Google group, or wiki page, or google site, etc...
Any of these sound good??

Gregory Brown

I was thinking a Google group, or wiki page, or google site, etc...
Any of these sound good??

I think GitHub sounds good for actual collaboration + A google group
for discussion.

-greg