Python to Ruby Tutorial (need collborators)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by r, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. r

    r Guest

    Hello all,
    I am a Python programmer and a Ruby Nuby. I have not found a guide
    available for Python programmers wishing to learn Ruby. I know Python
    and would like to write a tut so future people in my position can make
    the change easier.

    Would anybody who knows the Ruby language care to get involved in this
    project?

    I want to set up some examples like -- How do you handle situations in
    Ruby where you would use a list comprehension in Python? for example
    to iterate over a container selecting the items that pass a test [obj
    for obj in list if obj.attribute == this] ,etc, etc...

    This would help to break the ice.
     
    r, Feb 1, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. some_array.select{|item| item>5}

    For example

    Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning
    python too? I'd be interested in that.

    Sent from my iPhone

    On 01/02/2009, at 3:19 PM, r <> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I am a Python programmer and a Ruby Nuby. I have not found a guide
    > available for Python programmers wishing to learn Ruby. I know Python
    > and would like to write a tut so future people in my position can make
    > the change easier.
    >
    > Would anybody who knows the Ruby language care to get involved in this
    > project?
    >
    > I want to set up some examples like -- How do you handle situations in
    > Ruby where you would use a list comprehension in Python? for example
    > to iterate over a container selecting the items that pass a test [obj
    > for obj in list if obj.attribute == this] ,etc, etc...
    >
    > This would help to break the ice.
    >
     
    Julian Leviston, Feb 1, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. r

    r Guest

    On Jan 31, 10:26 pm, Julian Leviston <> wrote:
    > some_array.select{|item| item>5}
    > Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning  
    > python too? I'd be interested in that.


    Absolutely! Ruby<->Python.

    As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
    This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
    between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
    some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
    contact me.
     
    r, Feb 1, 2009
    #3
  4. On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, r wrote:

    > As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
    > This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
    > between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
    > some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
    > contact me.


    Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
    feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
    will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.

    -- Matt
    It's not what I know that counts.
    It's what I can remember in time to use.
     
    Matt Lawrence, Feb 1, 2009
    #4
  5. r

    James Britt Guest

    r wrote:

    > As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.


    Completely false.

    There are a few people who like making inflammatory posts, that's all.
    It does not reflect how the majority of users of each language feel
    about the other.



    --
    James Britt

    www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding
    www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys
    www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
    www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
     
    James Britt, Feb 1, 2009
    #5
  6. r

    Guest

    Quoting Matt Lawrence <>:

    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, r wrote:
    >
    >> As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.
    >> This imbalance exists from a misunderstanding and/or lack of knowledge
    >> between the other. We could really do something good here. Let's do
    >> some talking off list and see what we can come up with! feel free to
    >> contact me.

    >
    > Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
    > feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think
    > you will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.
    >
    > -- Matt
    > It's not what I know that counts.
    > It's what I can remember in time to use.


    I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
    never had a need or desire to learn it.

    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

    I've never met a happy clam. In fact, most of them were pretty steamed.
     
    , Feb 1, 2009
    #6
  7. r

    Phlip Guest

    > I have no experience with Python, but what I've seen looks OK. I've
    > never had a need or desire to learn it.


    I have >2 years flight time with Python, and I try very hard not to add to the
    "bad blood" in these forums. Sometimes...
     
    Phlip, Feb 1, 2009
    #7
  8. r

    Phlip Guest

    Matt Lawrence wrote:

    > Bad blood? Python is one of the few languages I can pick on without
    > feeling like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I think you
    > will find that a large number of Rubyists think highly of it.


    +1

    Excellent way to damn with faint praise!!
     
    Phlip, Feb 1, 2009
    #8
  9. r

    r Guest

    On Feb 1, 12:05 am, Phlip <> wrote:

    Oh crap, i started a frost war!!! :D
     
    r, Feb 1, 2009
    #9
  10. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Julian Leviston <>wrote:

    > Why not make it bidirectional? So good for ruby programmers learning python
    > too? I'd be interested in that.



    +1!

    Regards,
    Yaser
     
    Yaser Sulaiman, Feb 1, 2009
    #10
  11. r

    Tammo Tjarks Guest

    Hello,
    there is something on
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-python/

    The german version seems to be more detailed:
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/de/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-python/

    Regards,
    Tammo

    P.S. If this message comes several times. My news-Views crashes while
    sending the message.

    r wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I am a Python programmer and a Ruby Nuby. I have not found a guide
    > available for Python programmers wishing to learn Ruby. I know Python
    > and would like to write a tut so future people in my position can make
    > the change easier.
    >
    > Would anybody who knows the Ruby language care to get involved in this
    > project?
    >
    > I want to set up some examples like -- How do you handle situations in
    > Ruby where you would use a list comprehension in Python? for example
    > to iterate over a container selecting the items that pass a test [obj
    > for obj in list if obj.attribute == this] ,etc, etc...
    >
    > This would help to break the ice.
     
    Tammo Tjarks, Feb 1, 2009
    #11
  12. r

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:45 AM, James Britt <> wrote:
    > r wrote:
    >
    >> As you know quite a bit of bad blood exists between the two languages.

    >
    > Completely false.

    Agreed. However Python seems to stand in my way. But that might be my
    fault. Maybe working with someone who knows Python well would help me
    to like it better. Thus I am quite interested.
    Python really saved my day once or twice as a sysadmin, but I did
    never fall in love with it.
    Anyway I am quite interested in contributing.

    >
    > There are a few people who like making inflammatory posts, that's all. It
    > does not reflect how the majority of users of each language feel about the
    > other.

    A question James, did _we_? I do not really recall. Did _they_? I do
    not really care ;).

    Cheers
    Robert



    --
    It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the
    dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any
    longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but
    the world as it will be ... ~ Isaac Asimov
     
    Robert Dober, Feb 1, 2009
    #12
  13. r

    r Guest

    OK!, OK! no bad blood then. I was wrong. Don't beat me to death with a
    wet noodle here. :) We need to focus on the goal, and that is writing
    a bidirectional Ruby<->Python tut.

    Tammo said:
    > there is something on
    > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/t...


    Thanks Tammo, but i want to go into more of the every-day usage
    details.
     
    r, Feb 1, 2009
    #13
  14. r

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:54 PM, r <> wrote:
    > OK!, OK! no bad blood then. I was wrong. Don't beat me to death with a
    > wet noodle here. :)

    Of course not, just tell us with what you want be beaten to death and
    we happily will comply ;)
    But why not start, I feel that list comprehension is a great idea.
    R.



    --
    It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the
    dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any
    longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but
    the world as it will be ... ~ Isaac Asimov
     
    Robert Dober, Feb 1, 2009
    #14
  15. On Feb 1, 12:54=A0pm, r <> wrote:
    > We need to focus on the goal, and that is writing
    > a bidirectional Ruby<->Python tut.


    How do you propose to organize this?

    I'm going to go the geek route and suggest someone set up a GitHub
    repo.

    --
    -yossef
     
    Yossef Mendelssohn, Feb 1, 2009
    #15
  16. r

    r Guest

    On Feb 1, 5:05 pm, Yossef Mendelssohn <> wrote:
    > How do you propose to organize this?
    > I'm going to go the geek route and suggest someone set up a GitHub
    > repo.



    I was thinking a Google group, or wiki page, or google site, etc...
    Any of these sound good??
     
    r, Feb 3, 2009
    #16
  17. On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM, r <> wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 5:05 pm, Yossef Mendelssohn <> wrote:
    >> How do you propose to organize this?
    >> I'm going to go the geek route and suggest someone set up a GitHub
    >> repo.

    >
    >
    > I was thinking a Google group, or wiki page, or google site, etc...
    > Any of these sound good??


    I think GitHub sounds good for actual collaboration + A google group
    for discussion.

    -greg


    --
    Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
    Non-tech stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com
    "Ruby Best Practices" Book now in O'Reilly Roughcuts:
    http://rubybestpractices.com
     
    Gregory Brown, Feb 3, 2009
    #17
  18. r

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Gregory Brown <> wrote:
    > I think GitHub sounds good for actual collaboration + A google group
    > for discussion.
    >

    I copy that.
    R.
    --
    It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the
    dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any
    longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but
    the world as it will be ... ~ Isaac Asimov
     
    Robert Dober, Feb 3, 2009
    #18
  19. r

    r Guest

    On Feb 3, 3:08 pm, Robert Dober <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Gregory Brown <>wrote:
    > > I think GitHub sounds good for actual collaboration + A google group
    > > for discussion.

    >
    > I copy that.
    > R.


    Robert, are you trying to capitalize on my name? :D

    PS: A Google group sounds good to me
     
    r, Feb 7, 2009
    #19
  20. r

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM, r <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 3:08 pm, Robert Dober <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Gregory Brown <> wrote:
    >> > I think GitHub sounds good for actual collaboration + A google group
    >> > for discussion.

    >>
    >> I copy that.
    >> R.

    >
    > Robert, are you trying to capitalize on my name? :D

    Let's see I have mine for 47years and 16 days, and you? ;)
    /?obert/ ;)
     
    Robert Dober, Feb 7, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rensjuh
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,024
    Mabden
    Sep 2, 2004
  2. Swaroop C H
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    387
    Oren Tirosh
    Mar 6, 2004
  3. W. Watson
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,101
    W. Watson
    Sep 20, 2007
  4. Linuxmank
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    1,536
    Linuxmank
    Aug 8, 2009
  5. Greg Hauptmann
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    218
    Stefano Crocco
    Feb 7, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page