Python, Windows and SQL Server

Steve

I am developing an application for a client that will have data in a MS
SQL Server database. Costs have to be kept down so I have to develop
using the free version of any and all tools I may need. I have the SQL
Server installed, running on Windows XP. I was going to develop the GUI
using wxPython. My only obstacle so far is having Python (wxPython or
just plain Python) connect to the database. Is there a way to use
Python (installed on the same XP server) to connect to SQL Server? I
had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL Server have the same 'roots' and
that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
to a SQL Server instance.

Any ideas?

Brian

Is there a way to use
Python (installed on the same XP server) to connect to SQL Server? I
had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL Server have the same 'roots' and
that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
to a SQL Server instance.

Any ideas?

Steve,
I program in Python against MS SQL Server fairly often, using Mark
Hammond's Win32 extensions for Python.
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html) With its
help, you can easily wrap ADO COM objects & access SQL Server. If
you're already familiar with ADO, it's a snap. (Even if you're not, ADO
is a pretty straightforward interface.)

Joon-Cheol Park

Steve said:
I am developing an application for a client that will have data in a MS
SQL Server database. Costs have to be kept down so I have to develop
using the free version of any and all tools I may need. I have the SQL
Server installed, running on Windows XP. I was going to develop the GUI
using wxPython. My only obstacle so far is having Python (wxPython or
just plain Python) connect to the database. Is there a way to use
Python (installed on the same XP server) to connect to SQL Server? I
had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL Server have the same 'roots' and
that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
to a SQL Server instance.

Any ideas?

mssql python db api

http://pymssql.sf.net