    that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
    to a SQL Server instance.

    Any ideas?

    Steve, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Steve

    Brian Guest

    > Is there a way to use
    > Python (installed on the same XP server) to connect to SQL Server? I
    > had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL Server have the same 'roots' and
    > that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
    > to a SQL Server instance.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Steve,
    I program in Python against MS SQL Server fairly often, using Mark
    Hammond's Win32 extensions for Python.
    (http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html) With its
    help, you can easily wrap ADO COM objects & access SQL Server. If
    you're already familiar with ADO, it's a snap. (Even if you're not, ADO
    is a pretty straightforward interface.)

    Brian, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Steve

    Max Ischenko Guest

    Brian wrote:

    >> Is there a way to use Python (installed on the same XP server) to
    >> connect to SQL Server? I had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL
    >> Server have the same 'roots' and that using a Sybase driver, can
    >> sometimes work when one wants to connect to a SQL Server instance.

    > I program in Python against MS SQL Server fairly often, using Mark
    > Hammond's Win32 extensions for Python.
    > (http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html) With its
    > help, you can easily wrap ADO COM objects & access SQL Server. If
    > you're already familiar with ADO, it's a snap. (Even if you're not, ADO
    > is a pretty straightforward interface.)

    That's have already been done. ;-)

    See adodbapi.sf.net.

    Max Ischenko, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Steve

    Brian Guest

    Max Ischenko wrote:
    >> you can easily wrap ADO COM objects & access SQL Server. If
    >> you're already familiar with ADO, it's a snap. (Even if you're not,
    >> ADO is a pretty straightforward interface.)

    > That's have already been done. ;-)
    >
    > See adodbapi.sf.net.

    Thanks Max, I didn't realize this was available. I'll give it a try on
    my next project.

    Brian, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am developing an application for a client that will have data in a MS
    > SQL Server database. Costs have to be kept down so I have to develop
    > using the free version of any and all tools I may need. I have the SQL
    > Server installed, running on Windows XP. I was going to develop the GUI
    > using wxPython. My only obstacle so far is having Python (wxPython or
    > just plain Python) connect to the database. Is there a way to use
    > Python (installed on the same XP server) to connect to SQL Server? I
    > had read somewhere that Sybase and SQL Server have the same 'roots' and
    > that using a Sybase driver, can sometimes work when one wants to connect
    > to a SQL Server instance.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    mssql python db api

    http://pymssql.sf.net