    Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Brendan Simon.

    Brendan J Simon, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Brendan J Simon

    Harry George Guest

    Brendan J Simon <> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API in
    > C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
    > that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
    > create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
    >
    > Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
    >
    > Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some other
    > tool be required.
    >
    > Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Brendan Simon.

    I've asked this before, and the consensus answer seems to be to wrap
    the Java functionality (using Java) as an XMLRPC server. Write the
    Python to call it as needed.

    --

    6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
    Phone: (425) 342-0007

    Harry George, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Brendan J Simon

    Steve Menard Guest

    Harry George wrote:
    > Brendan J Simon <> writes:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API in
    >>C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
    >>that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
    >>create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
    >>
    >>Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some other
    >>tool be required.
    >>
    >>Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Brendan Simon.

    > I've asked this before, and the consensus answer seems to be to wrap
    > the Java functionality (using Java) as an XMLRPC server. Write the
    > Python to call it as needed.

    This may be the consensus, but it is not the only possibility.
    Additionally, the performance hits of RPC calls may not be acceptable.

    Take a look at JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ). It is still in
    the early stages of development, but shaping up quickly.

    Unless you have to extend a Java class, JPype should allow you to take
    full advantage of any Java library within a few weeks. In fact, if you
    do not need callbacks at all, it can do so right now.

    As stated above, JPype is still beta software. The developper do answer
    question rather quickly, and try to be responsive in the face of bugs.

    And yes, I am the main developper :)

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve Menard, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Brendan J Simon

    Harry George Guest

    Steve Menard <> writes:

    > Harry George wrote:
    > > Brendan J Simon <> writes:
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API in
    > >>C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
    > >>that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
    > >>create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
    > >>
    > >>Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
    > >>
    > >>Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some other
    > >>tool be required.
    > >>
    > >>Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Regards,
    > >>Brendan Simon.

    > > I've asked this before, and the consensus answer seems to be to wrap
    > > the Java functionality (using Java) as an XMLRPC server. Write the
    > > Python to call it as needed.
    > >

    > This may be the consensus, but it is not the only
    > possibility. Additionally, the performance hits of RPC calls may not
    > be acceptable.
    >
    > Take a look at JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ). It is still in
    > the early stages of development, but shaping up quickly.
    >
    > Unless you have to extend a Java class, JPype should allow you to take
    > full advantage of any Java library within a few weeks. In fact, if you
    > do not need callbacks at all, it can do so right now.
    >
    > As stated above, JPype is still beta software. The developper do
    > answer question rather quickly, and try to be responsive in the face
    > of bugs.
    >
    > And yes, I am the main developper :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    Excellent. I'd had hopes for JPE, but never got it to run. I'll give
    JPype a try.

    Harry George, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Brendan,

    I would definitely go for Qt which doc is just awesome.

    Personnal opinion of course.

    - Sylvain

    Sylvain Hellegouarch, Jun 16, 2004