python with Java API

Brendan J Simon

Hi,

I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API in
C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
create a decent Unix opensource frontend.

Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???

Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some other
tool be required.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.

Harry George

Brendan J Simon said:
Hi,

I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API in
C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
create a decent Unix opensource frontend.

Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???

Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some other
tool be required.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.

I've asked this before, and the consensus answer seems to be to wrap
the Java functionality (using Java) as an XMLRPC server. Write the
Python to call it as needed.

Steve Menard

Harry said:
I've asked this before, and the consensus answer seems to be to wrap
the Java functionality (using Java) as an XMLRPC server. Write the
Python to call it as needed.

This may be the consensus, but it is not the only possibility.
Additionally, the performance hits of RPC calls may not be acceptable.

Take a look at JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ). It is still in
the early stages of development, but shaping up quickly.

Unless you have to extend a Java class, JPype should allow you to take
full advantage of any Java library within a few weeks. In fact, if you
do not need callbacks at all, it can do so right now.

As stated above, JPype is still beta software. The developper do answer
question rather quickly, and try to be responsive in the face of bugs.

And yes, I am the main developper :)

Cheers,

Steve

Harry George

Steve Menard said:
This may be the consensus, but it is not the only
possibility. Additionally, the performance hits of RPC calls may not
be acceptable.

Take a look at JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ). It is still in
the early stages of development, but shaping up quickly.

Unless you have to extend a Java class, JPype should allow you to take
full advantage of any Java library within a few weeks. In fact, if you
do not need callbacks at all, it can do so right now.

As stated above, JPype is still beta software. The developper do
answer question rather quickly, and try to be responsive in the face
of bugs.

And yes, I am the main developper :)

Cheers,

Steve

Excellent. I'd had hopes for JPE, but never got it to run. I'll give
JPype a try.

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Brendan,

I would definitely go for Qt which doc is just awesome.

Personnal opinion of course.

- Sylvain