Pythonification of the asterisk-based collection packing/unpacking syntax

Eelco

You do realise there were 8 years between 2 & 3? You might be waiting
for quite some time.

Yes, I realize this discussion is quite theoretical in nature. Some of
the more 'emotionally engaged' participants might do well to keep that
in mind as well.
Conversely, you could pitch in behind Rick Johnson's Python 4000 fork,
I sure it's progressing nicely given how long Rick has been talking it
up.

Would you be so kind as to leave your personal feuds at the door?
You might want to ask people maintaining libraries in both 2.x & 3.x
via 2to3 just how well that's working out for them. If the impact of
changes was trivially obvious, the programming landscape would look
very different indeed.

Of course if a conversion tool falters on even a single construct,
automated conversion is not going to be reliable, and thats going to
be a pain. But whatever python 4 will be like, its not going to be
backwards compatible by definition; and at least I dont think this
proposed change will contribute to the trouble of conversion between
the two. It is really quite a superficial syntax tweak.