    OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

    Thanks.
    Mike Barnard, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >
    > (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    > an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    >
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
    indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
    you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
    it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
    it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 21, 2008

  3. "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    >> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >>
    >> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    >> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    >>
    >> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    >> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    >> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
    > indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
    > you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
    > it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
    > it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hi Mike,

    You're gonna kick yourself...

    When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
    browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.

    The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
    VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
    NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.

    Hope this helps

    Andy
    Andrew Bailey, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1dEEj.36384$>,
    "Andrew Bailey" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi.
    > >>
    > >> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > >> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    > >>
    > >> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    > >> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    > >>
    > >> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > >> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > >> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

    > > Easy, you open Opera and
    > > you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
    > > it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
    > > it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.
    > >

    > You're gonna kick yourself...
    >
    > When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
    > browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
    >
    > The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
    > VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
    > NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
    >

    > Hope this helps

    How can it help? The question is about what Medium is as a
    percentage. On a Mac at least, there is nothing on this in the
    View menu.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 21, 2008
  5. Mike Barnard

    Bergamot Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:

    > Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?

    FYI, CTRL+ in IE7 is page zoom, not text zoom. It shows the % down in
    the right corner of the status bar. Text zoom is accessed in the View
    menu, and there are only 5 choices there.

    Firefox should be using the same steps as Seamonkey. SM shows the % in
    View->Text Zoom menu.

    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%?

    Does it really matter?

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Mar 21, 2008
  6. Mike Barnard

    BootNic Guest

    Mike Barnard <> wrote in

    > Hi.
    >
    > Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >
    > (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    > an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    >
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

    For IE:
    [kbd]javascript:alert(document.body.currentStyle.fontSize)[/kbd]
    pretty much useless in IE.

    For others:
    [kbd]javascript:alert(document.defaultView.getComputedStyle
    (document.body,'').fontSize)[/kbd]

    --
    BootNic Thursday March 20, 2008 11:41 PM
    It is well known that "problem avoidance" is an important part of
    BootNic, Mar 21, 2008
  7. On Mar 20, 9:30 pm, "Andrew Bailey" <>
    wrote:
    > You're gonna kick yourself...
    > When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
    > browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
    > The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
    > VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
    > NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
    > Hope this helps

    I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
    of them...
    Travis Newbury, Mar 21, 2008
  8. Mike Barnard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Mar 2008, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > On Mar 20, 9:30 pm, "Andrew Bailey" <>
    > wrote:
    >> You're gonna kick yourself...
    >> When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel)
    >> the browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
    >> The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by
    >> clicking VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default
    >> size labeled NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
    >> Hope this helps

    > I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
    > of them...

    Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
    beyond help of any kind?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 21, 2008
  9. On Mar 21, 10:39 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > > I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
    > > of them...

    > Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
    > beyond help of any kind?

    WAY beyond help
    Travis Newbury, Mar 21, 2008
  10. Mike Barnard

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 8:44 pm, Mike Barnard <>
    wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >
    > (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    > an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    >
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I do not know if Firefox 3 shows the
    magnification factor for text only zoom.
    I think that Firefox 3 is still in beta tests
    and I did not use it yet.
    , Mar 21, 2008
  11. Mike Barnard

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 8:44 pm, Mike Barnard wrote:
    > Hi.
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%?  300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Sorry, me again.
    I installed Firefox 3 beta 4, it is quite fun,
    it can zoom the full page, not only text only.
    I did not see the factor of magnification,
    but the exact size of text/images
    might depend on screen resolution and
    things like this.
    , Mar 21, 2008
  12. On Mar 20, 4:44 pm, Mike Barnard <>
    wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
    >
    > (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
    > an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
    >
    > How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
    > OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%?  300%? 12%? Is it hidden
    > away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks.

    In my IE7 browser at the bottom right of the window (in the status
    bar) it tells me the % change.
    Helpful person, Mar 21, 2008
  13. Mike Barnard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Mar 2008, Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Mar 21, 10:39 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> > I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
    >> > of them...

    >> Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
    >> beyond help of any kind?

    > WAY beyond help

    Gee, that's a shame. But I guess it does explain your Flash fetishism.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.com/
    Neredbojias, Mar 21, 2008
  14. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:44:26 +0000, Mike Barnard
    <> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text

    Many replies as usual. Thanks. I wondered if there was an extension
    for FF maybe. It's not that important, it's just nice to know how far
    a site goes in expansion before it breaks.

    When discussing with others.... "Mine goes to 400% before it breaks"
    "MINE goes to 410%, nyer!"... and so on! :)

    And Do, I'll try your comparison method. Thanks.
    Mike Barnard, Mar 22, 2008
  15. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:05:40 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    >> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

    >Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
    >indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
    >you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
    >it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
    >it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

    ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
    ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
    ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.

    Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
    text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar and let the browser expand
    beyond the visible window. FF tires to cram it all in to the window,
    no matter how small.

    When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
    use? Sob.
    Mike Barnard, Mar 22, 2008
  16. Mike Barnard

    Bergamot Guest

    Mike Barnard wrote:

    > ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
    > ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
    > ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.
    >
    > Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
    > text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar

    That's because CTRL+ in IE7 is page zoom, not text zoom. If you change
    IE's text size from the View menu, you get text zoom instead. IE6 has no
    page zoom, only text zoom.

    > FF tires to cram it all in to the window,

    You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I loathe horizontal
    scrolling, so prefer text zoom to page zoom, as do a lot of other people.

    > When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
    > use? Sob.

    Why should such a thing be universal? You should be cheering that users
    have a choice in such things.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Mar 22, 2008
  17. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > And, Do, I'll try your comparison method. Thanks.

    There is a side benefit to this sort of technique. It is called learning
    bush-craft. If you upgrade all the time to get the very latest or get
    extensions and stuff, you will always rely on being spoon fed by the
    technology. So, when Russia drop a bomb on you there, (they have already
    started provocations by arresting a couple of your citizens for spying)
    you will be in some bunker somewhere (you're a firemen and would have
    taken precautions) and cut off from updates for quite some time. So you
    learn to make do.

    The "do" in "dorayme" is for "make do" otherwise I would have been named
    by my minders, "odearyme" or "drearyme"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2008
  18. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:05:40 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi.
    > >>
    > >> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
    > >> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

    > >Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
    > >indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
    > >you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
    > >it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
    > >it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

    > ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
    > ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
    > ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.
    >
    > Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
    > text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar and let the browser expand
    > beyond the visible window. FF tires to cram it all in to the window,
    > no matter how small.
    >
    > When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
    > use? Sob.

    I think it would be dreadful if they did because we would then lose
    choices to suit ourselves at different times. Variety is the fruit of
    experimentation and innovation. It would be a dull world that would
    satisfy only some dreary people. Trust me, Mike, you would not like it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2008
  19. On Mar 21, 6:12 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > >> Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
    > >> beyond help of any kind?

    > > WAY beyond help

    > Gee, that's a shame. But I guess it does explain your Flash fetishism.

    I have a Flash Fetish too?????
    Travis Newbury, Mar 23, 2008
  20. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:47:21 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    >> And, Do, I'll try your comparison method. Thanks.

    >There is a side benefit to this sort of technique. It is called learning
    >bush-craft. If you upgrade all the time to get the very latest or get
    >extensions and stuff, you will always rely on being spoon fed by the
    >technology. So, when Russia drop a bomb on you there, (they have already
    >started provocations by arresting a couple of your citizens for spying)
    >you will be in some bunker somewhere (you're a firemen and would have
    >taken precautions) and cut off from updates for quite some time. So you
    >learn to make do.

    I don't mind being spoonfed in this case. I'm learning HTML because I
    need to make one specific site, not as a career. Although I believe
    all knowledge is good and worh collecting.

    >The "do" in "dorayme" is for "make do" otherwise I would have been named
    >by my minders, "odearyme" or "drearyme"

    Never dreary Debra, never. :)
    Mike Barnard, Mar 23, 2008