Q about text sizing in browsers.

Mike Barnard

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

Andrew Bailey

dorayme said:
Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

Hi Mike,

You're gonna kick yourself...

When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.

The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.

Hope this helps

Andy

dorayme

"Andrew Bailey said:
You're gonna kick yourself...

When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.

The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.

Hope this helps

How can it help? The question is about what Medium is as a
percentage. On a Mac at least, there is nothing on this in the
View menu.

Bergamot

Mike said:
Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?

FYI, CTRL+ in IE7 is page zoom, not text zoom. It shows the % down in
the right corner of the status bar. Text zoom is accessed in the View
menu, and there are only 5 choices there.

Firefox should be using the same steps as Seamonkey. SM shows the % in
View->Text Zoom menu.
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%?

Does it really matter?

BootNic

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

For IE:
[kbd]javascript:alert(document.body.currentStyle.fontSize)[/kbd]
pretty much useless in IE.

For others:
[kbd]javascript:alert(document.defaultView.getComputedStyle
(document.body,'').fontSize)[/kbd]

--
BootNic Thursday March 20, 2008 11:41 PM
It is well known that "problem avoidance" is an important part of

Travis Newbury

You're gonna kick yourself...
When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
Hope this helps

I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
of them...

Neredbojias

I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
of them...

Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
beyond help of any kind?

mynameisnobodyodyssea

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

I do not know if Firefox 3 shows the
magnification factor for text only zoom.
I think that Firefox 3 is still in beta tests
and I did not use it yet.

mynameisnobodyodyssea

Hi.
How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%?  300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

Sorry, me again.
I installed Firefox 3 beta 4, it is quite fun,
it can zoom the full page, not only text only.
I did not see the factor of magnification,
but the exact size of text/images
might depend on screen resolution and
things like this.

Helpful person

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%?  300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

In my IE7 browser at the bottom right of the window (in the status
bar) it tells me the % change.

Mike Barnard

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text

Many replies as usual. Thanks. I wondered if there was an extension
for FF maybe. It's not that important, it's just nice to know how far
a site goes in expansion before it breaks.

When discussing with others.... "Mine goes to 400% before it breaks"
"MINE goes to 410%, nyer!"... and so on! :)

And Do, I'll try your comparison method. Thanks.

Mike Barnard

Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.

Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar and let the browser expand
beyond the visible window. FF tires to cram it all in to the window,
no matter how small.

When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
use? Sob.

Bergamot

Mike said:
ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.

Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar

That's because CTRL+ in IE7 is page zoom, not text zoom. If you change
IE's text size from the View menu, you get text zoom instead. IE6 has no
page zoom, only text zoom.
FF tires to cram it all in to the window,

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I loathe horizontal
scrolling, so prefer text zoom to page zoom, as do a lot of other people.
When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
use? Sob.

Why should such a thing be universal? You should be cheering that users
have a choice in such things.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
And, Do, I'll try your comparison method. Thanks.

There is a side benefit to this sort of technique. It is called learning
bush-craft. If you upgrade all the time to get the very latest or get
extensions and stuff, you will always rely on being spoon fed by the
technology. So, when Russia drop a bomb on you there, (they have already
started provocations by arresting a couple of your citizens for spying)
you will be in some bunker somewhere (you're a firemen and would have
taken precautions) and cut off from updates for quite some time. So you
learn to make do.

The "do" in "dorayme" is for "make do" otherwise I would have been named
by my minders, "odearyme" or "drearyme"

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
ctrl + one time in Firefox on windows is 120%.
ctrl + two times in Firefox on windows is 140%.
ctrl + three times in Firefox on windows is 200%.

Approximately. Interesting to note that Firefox looks worst at higher
text sizes because IE provided a scroll bar and let the browser expand
beyond the visible window. FF tires to cram it all in to the window,
no matter how small.

When will they come up with ONE good, working set of rules we can all
use? Sob.

I think it would be dreadful if they did because we would then lose
choices to suit ourselves at different times. Variety is the fruit of
experimentation and innovation. It would be a dull world that would
satisfy only some dreary people. Trust me, Mike, you would not like it.

Mike Barnard

There is a side benefit to this sort of technique. It is called learning
bush-craft. If you upgrade all the time to get the very latest or get
extensions and stuff, you will always rely on being spoon fed by the
technology. So, when Russia drop a bomb on you there, (they have already
started provocations by arresting a couple of your citizens for spying)
you will be in some bunker somewhere (you're a firemen and would have
taken precautions) and cut off from updates for quite some time. So you
learn to make do.

I don't mind being spoonfed in this case. I'm learning HTML because I
need to make one specific site, not as a career. Although I believe
all knowledge is good and worh collecting.
The "do" in "dorayme" is for "make do" otherwise I would have been named
by my minders, "odearyme" or "drearyme"

Never dreary Debra, never. :)