Q. Background graphic width ?

Jim Jones

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to specify my background graphic width
in the body tag, so that I don't get duplicate sets of verticle lines?

thanks,
jim

David Dorward

Jim said:
Can someone please tell me how to specify my background graphic width
in the body tag, so that I don't get duplicate sets of verticle lines?

There is no provision to scale background images in HTML or CSS.

CSS allows you to specify the position and repeating of background images.

http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/ (and look up "background" in the list of properties)

There is a somewhat nasty hack involving the positioning of a foreground
image behind other content using absolute positioning, but I wouldn't
advise you to use it.

ollimax

There is a somewhat nasty hack involving the positioning of a foreground
image behind other content using absolute positioning, but I wouldn't
advise you to use it.
I played once with a 'background-text'.
Made a layer something like this:

#bgr{
width :100%;
height :100%;
font-size : huge;
line-height : minimal;
letter-spacing : minimal;
color : #dda;
z-index : 1;
top :0;
left:0;
etc...
}

then in the body was simply like this:

The point of such large font-size was to have a good hash which doesn't
interfere with the content, and make it difficult to read.

Trouble was with layer's edges and text wrapping on the background.

I guess you could get over it by set the clipping. Also I had the
problem that user could select the background-text accidentally instead
of the content.

I guess I soon got a better idea for the background and I forgot this,
and it's no wonder at all. But it would be nice to know if someone had
actually used a solution like this?

Oll¡maX!