Q: Disconnected DataSets - automatic Add/Remove but with Guid Key instead of AutoIncrement int?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sky, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Sky

    Sky Guest

    Hello,
    The books on C# I have read talk of using the DataSets in disconnected mode,
    and Adding/Removing/Updating records from it, and letting it handle all the
    updating on the Database in one batch finale...

    But the examples were all based on using auto-increment columns.

    Lately I've been backing away from Auto-Increment columns to move to
    'uniqueidentifier' guid columns instead for my Key columns -- to allow for
    better synching arch. with several disconnected PocketPC's in the future...
    (So I've been told...)

    Question:
    How does one get to use this disconnected abilities of the DataSet if using
    Guid's --
    AND where I need to provide a new Guid() programmatically at post time if it
    is a new record
    (why? Because on SqlServer there is a command to do so -- but when porting
    to MySQL where they don't have a built in function to generate a Guid if
    none provided, you have to provide the value before posting...)

    Voila. Convoluted question -- I apologize -- but any info, code sample,
    anything that would get me to see the light on this one, would be FANTASTIC!
    Sky
    Sky, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Sky

    Madan Nayak Guest

    Re: Disconnected DataSets - automatic Add/Remove but with Guid Key instead of AutoIncrement int?

    Hi Sky...

    you can use the dataset with the data relations without any attribute being
    decared as auto increment.

    Do what ever manipulation you want an d finally update on the adapter...

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/
    you can see some dataset code here..

    Bye

    Madan Nayak, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Sky

    Sky Guest

    Re: Disconnected DataSets - automatic Add/Remove but with Guid Key instead of AutoIncrement int?

    Dear Madan:
    The place you dumped me was sort of like a shopping mall...where to start?!
    Did you have any specific example that you think relevant to the question I
    posted?

    Thanks so much,
    Sky

    Sky, Jan 30, 2004