Q: Documentation for PGconn

G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS

Is there any documentation for PGconn (or postgres/postgres)? When I
do 'ri postgres' I get the message 'Nothing known about postgres',
even though the module works fine in test cases with jruby and cygwin-
ruby in Windoze Vi$ta.

Rolando Abarca

here's my recipe:

1) google for ruby postgres
2) enter 1st result (i'm feeling lucky might work too)
3) look for the link "reference"
4) here's the link also: http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/rdoc/

;-)

Is there any documentation for PGconn (or postgres/postgres)? When I
do 'ri postgres' I get the message 'Nothing known about postgres',
even though the module works fine in test cases with jruby and cygwin-
ruby in Windoze Vi$ta.

regards,

Jeff Moore

Is there any documentation for PGconn (or postgres/postgres)? When I
do 'ri postgres' I get the message 'Nothing known about postgres',
even though the module works fine in test cases with jruby and cygwin-
ruby in Windoze Vi$ta.

Or for those of us who can't be tethered to the Internet *all the
time*...

1) Check to seen whether you have rdoc installed: rdoc --help
2) If not, get it else...
3) Chdir so you're in the top level of the package you want to examine
4) Check to see if there's a 'doc' subdirectory
5) If not, 'rdoc' and the rdoc will be generated in a new doc directory

Jeff Moore

5) If not, 'rdoc' and the rdoc will be generated in a new doc directory

** so much for 'tabs' **

6) Open the 'index.html' file in the doc directory with your browser
7) If the doc directory already exists and you don't want to trash it:
'rdoc --op some-other-directory' and proceed as above...

G. Ralph Kuntz, MD, MS

I did this. The documents are out of date. There is no 'connect'
method documented, but there is an 'open' method.

I found some docs on my machine in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-
postgres-0.7.1.2006.04.06/doc (cygwin).

I guess that will have to do for now.

Thanks.

Jeff Moore

I did this. The documents are out of date. There is no 'connect'
method documented, but there is an 'open' method.

I found some docs on my machine in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-
postgres-0.7.1.2006.04.06/doc (cygwin).

I guess that will have to do for now.

Thanks.

a couple of notes...

if you check to online doc cited earlier, you won't find a 'connect'
method there either.

some possibilities include:

a) 'connect' is a private method - rdoc doesn't cover these by default
b) 'connect' is inherited from a class outside of pkg directory
c) 'connect' has been tagged with :nodoc: for some reason

at this point, 'grep -r connect *' is your friend