Q from a novice: how do you implement windows menus in ASP.NET?

Guest

Hello,

I'm new to web development.
How do you create a main menu in a Web Application? Is there such a concept
like main menu as there is in windows forms? If not what do you replace it
with?

Thanks.

Scott Allen

Hi Nad:

Web Forms are pretty much an open-ended free for all college campus
beer bash compared to the relatively standard look and feel
surrounding most Windows applications. There is no standard File ->
Open, File -> Print menu hanging around.

You can use a drop down menu if you like, however. For ASP.NET 1.1
you'll need to write one, or use one from a third party (see
http://asp.net/ControlGallery/default.aspx?Category=32&tabindex=2 for
some starters). In ASP.NET 2 there is a menu control provided.

Guest

Thanks for reply Scott,

Then maybe I should get the VS 2005 Beta version. Do you know when VS 2005
will be released?

Guest

I meant to say, would that be advisable to get the beta version for the sake
of menus?

Brock Allen

I meant to say, would that be advisable to get the beta version for
the sake of menus?

Probabaly not just for the menus, but for most of the other features I'd
say yes. But it really depends upon your project's release cycle and your
management's comfort with an end of the year release.

Guest

Hi Brock,

Well I'm planning to start a project by meself and roughly it's a 3 or 4
month project. I am not going to host it so a third party will be hosting it.
I was just thinking if I do it in beta2 and vs 2005 is not released by the
time I finish the project then I am in trouble unless third party web hosting
providers also support beta 2.

What are your thoughts on this?