Q: Module Shared Data

Discussion in 'Python' started by CatManDo, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. CatManDo

    CatManDo Guest

    Disclaimer #1: I am a Python newbie, and I appreciate the vast
    documentation at python.org -- some of which I expect has the answer to
    my question if I can find it.

    I am working on a custom computational fluid dynamics code. I will
    create one or more compiled Python modules in C/C++ to provide new
    types and functions for manipulating those types. I have a *lot* of
    data. Efficiency requires that the new data structures be shared
    freely within the scope of the module, without directly exposing the
    data to the standard Python runtime environment.

    Stated another way, I need the data to persist in virtual memory across
    seprate invocations of functions in the module(s) and to be accessible
    only through methods explicitly provided by the module(s).

    How can I do this? What are some good examples to study?

    Disclaimer #2: I am a aware that strong opinions exist about closing
    off data from users. But it's a requirement for this application. I
    don't like it, but I need the job!

    Thanks for your time
    CatManDo

    CatManDo, Mar 4, 2005