Q: re Inline and Benchmark

Anno Siegel

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} said:
[...]
Well, I guess I can live with it too. Especially since I had never
even noticed up until now! However, out of curiosity: do you think
that it "ought" to be allowed, hypothetically speaking?

It ought to work if we expected orthogonal design: Never mind what kind
of block, "use" and "no" can go into it. But this is Perl...

I don't think this is fair, perl brakes orthogonality when
orthogonality makes things harder. When orthogonality makes things
easer then orthogonality shouldn't be broken.

That's an ideal. In practice, Perl has broken orthogonality for all
kinds of reasons. Think of the use of filehandles. Very little in
the the mess of rules and exceptions that govern this are actually
to the convenience of the programmer, but to make some things possible
at all in an existing framework. Similarly, I'm happy to be able to
use "use" and "no" in most blocks. Exceptions come with the territory.

Anno

Anno Siegel

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} said:
comp.lang.perl.misc:
[...]
I don't think this is fair, perl brakes orthogonality when
orthogonality makes things harder. When orthogonality makes things
easer then orthogonality shouldn't be broken.

That's an ideal. In practice, Perl has broken orthogonality for all
kinds of reasons. Think of the use of filehandles.

I think your proving my point. Filehandles are quite broken, hence

I'm not proving any point, I'm taking (and suggesting) a different
stance towards Perl's deficiencies. It is a language that was never
designed, but developed from a modest beginning, *and* keeps an almost
unbroken chain of compatibility -- there must be some snags. One
particularly messy example is filehandles, another is the existence
of various kinds of blocks with different capabilities. The lack of
a decent case statement is another traditional deficiency. I'm
taking the good with the bad.
all the efforts with IO::Handle to provide us with an unbroken
version. I think everyone would be happy if some of thouse useless
exceptions where done away with.

In Perl 5, it won't happen. You must be talking Perl 6 :) There,
we're getting the most fancy case statement ever designed: rules.
All control transfer will be (formally) through exceptions, so all
blocks will be equal. I know nothing about IO, but I'll bet it will
be the neatest ever.

Anno