Q: Reading indeterminate pointer -> Ref to Std?

Jakob Bieling

Hi,

in a post from 1995 ('why pass references?') in this group, Steve
Clamage said reading the value of an indeterminate pointer (no
dereferencing taking place) is undefined behavior. While I am in no
doubt about this, I could not find it in the Standard. Apart from the
fact that I did not know where to look, the search function did not turn
up anything useful. Can somebody please provide a page/paragraph number?

Thanks!

Victor Bazarov

Jakob Bieling said:
in a post from 1995 ('why pass references?') in this group, Steve
Clamage said reading the value of an indeterminate pointer (no
dereferencing taking place) is undefined behavior. While I am in no doubt
about this, I could not find it in the Standard. Apart from the fact that
I did not know where to look, the search function did not turn up anything
useful. Can somebody please provide a page/paragraph number?

Please search Google Groups for posts containing "access invalid pointer
standard" (without double quotes, of course). 3.7.3.2 says that the effect
of using an invalid pointer value is undefined. Indeterminate value can be
either valid (by chance) or invalid. That doesn't have to be specified in
the Standard to be true. More information on "using an invalid pointer
value" is in the archives.