Q: Using the "Windows" Authentication method in With ASP.NET 2.0

Visual Systems AB \(Martin Arvidsson\)

Hi!

I have been struggeling with this Windows, Authentication method for a
while, and i am beginning to give up.

So a couple of questions that you guys probably have the answer on.

1. One should add the user to the Active Directory, right?
2. Could i use the Login components to validate the user? (Studio 2005)
3. Do i have to specify every user in the Web.Config?

Finaly, perheps there is a link to a great site that explains it so even a
dummy like me would understand it :D

Regards
Martin

Wiktor Zychla [C# MVP]

U¿ytkownik "Visual Systems AB (Martin Arvidsson)"
Hi!

I have been struggeling with this Windows, Authentication method for a
while, and i am beginning to give up.

So a couple of questions that you guys probably have the answer on.

1. One should add the user to the Active Directory, right?

you can log as an Active Directory user or as a machine user. remember to
turn off anonymous access in application's configuration and choose one of
three authentication methods (basic, ..., integrated).
2. Could i use the Login components to validate the user? (Studio 2005)

yes you can but I belive that you will have to write your own code that
validates user's credentials against the Active Directory in the
OnAuthenticate handler of the Login component.

below link will explain to you how to authenticate users against AD:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod16.asp
3. Do i have to specify every user in the Web.Config?

no, you do not have to.
Finaly, perheps there is a link to a great site that explains it so even a
dummy like me would understand it :D

you could start with reading the free book "Building Secure ASP.NET
applications:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod16.asp

regards,
Wiktor Zychla