question about chat system

ThumbGenie

hi,

i digged up an article from Merlin Hughes from JavaWorld.com
about building an internet chat system.

This is a nice article, i tested it on some local machine here
at home and it works great, the server running on a port, and
clients connecting to them.

Although when I want to try the same remotely, so running the
server version of the chat on a linux machine hosted by
ev1servers.net, and using the chat client in my browser, and
trying to connect nothing happens.

I installed the sun's java software on the linux machine ( not
the rpm version ) and installed it inside a home directory of a
web domain. I start the server version with the java command.
This is going good so far.

But when I try to connect with my client, nothing happens, its
just waiting. Could it be that my dedicated server does not
allow connections coming in on TCP ports ?

I hope anyone could give me a small hint.

Thanks!

Marcel

Andrew Thompson

i digged up an article ..

I was about to comment that the word 'I' should be capitalised
when I noticed you did capitalise it later.

So, cutting straight to the point. Use correct capitalisation
and punctuation to make your message easier for the reader.

And please avoid words such as 'digged'. For those that are
unaware, the past tense of dig is dug, but 'found' would have
been a better word than 'dug up', in any case.
..from Merlin Hughes from JavaWorld.com ...
URL?

about building an internet chat system.

This is a nice article, i tested it on some local machine here
at home and it works great, the server running on a port, and
clients connecting to them.

Although when I want to try the same remotely, so running the
server version of the chat on a linux machine hosted by
ev1servers.net, and using the chat client in my browser,

OS? Version?
Browser make? Version?

Using Java version?
<http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>

URL to see this page?
...and trying to connect nothing happens.

Whatever happens, it is never 'nothing', try to be more specific.

What does the Java console of the browser report?
I installed the sun's java software on the linux machine ( not
the rpm version ) and installed it inside a home directory of a
web domain. I start the server version with the java command.
This is going good so far.

What tests, if any, confirm to you that it is working?
What does 'going good' mean?
But when I try to connect with my client, nothing happens, its
just waiting.

ditto above. If necessary, sprinkle System.out.println()
statements through the code.
Could it be that my dedicated server does not
allow connections coming in on TCP ports ?

Could be.
I hope anyone could give me a small hint.

Several small hints above, if you have not
seen them yet, you missed them..

You're welcome!