question about gprof

Yan Yang

Hi,

I have a program and I want to test its execution time. When I run the
program, I can feel it runs about 4 mins, but the gprof only says the
accumlated time is 7.2 secs.

Then I use the command: "date; my program; date" and from the time
difference, I got the time 287 seconds?

I am really confused about these two numbers. Why gprof only accumlated 7.2
secs?

Thanks.

Yan

Emmanuel Delahaye

Yan Yang said:
I have a program and I want to test its execution time. When I run the
program, I can feel it runs about 4 mins, but the gprof only says the
accumlated time is 7.2 secs.

3rd off-topic post

Tom Zych

Yan said:
I have a program and I want to test its execution time. When I run the
program, I can feel it runs about 4 mins, but the gprof only says the
accumlated time is 7.2 secs.

Then I use the command: "date; my program; date" and from the time
difference, I got the time 287 seconds?

1. Please do not post the same question multiple times. If it
doesn't instantly appear in your newsreader, that does not
necessarily mean it got lost.
2. You're in the wrong newsgroup. comp.lang.c is about the C
programming language, not gprof. You should ask in a newsgroup
dedicated to your platform. If, as it appears, that is a Unix
variant, try comp.unix.programming.

HTH. HAND.