    copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
    then save it as aboutus.html?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John, Oct 13, 2006

  2. John

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John wrote:
    > I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.
    >

    > Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
    > link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
    > and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
    > copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
    > then save it as aboutus.html?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Do you mean:

    - I am looking at your index.html page in my browser
    - I click the link to aboutus.html
    - the index.html page is replaced with the aboutus.html page

    If so, that's default behavior. If that is not happening then you have
    coded the link to specifically open a new window. If you mean something
    different, please explain.

    Do you have an online example?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 13, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for the reply Ed.

    Example:

    I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
    default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
    the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
    there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
    way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

    note: I don't have an online example at this time.

    John, Oct 13, 2006
  4. John wrote:

    > I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
    > default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
    > the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
    > there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen.
    > That way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

    Make a template for your pages. Include everything from the DOCTYPE, the
    <head> section, the <body> including the logo header and the menu code,
    the footer if applicable. Use this as an example:

    <head>
    <title>My Template</title>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    </head>

    [Insert your logo code here]

    [Each individual page's content goes here]

    [Your menu code goes here]

    Now save it as "template.html"

    When you want to make a new page, copy this file to a new one, say
    "about.html" and just fill in the specific page's content.

    Please don't top-post. Thanks.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 13, 2006
  5. John

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:47:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>> I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.
    >>>

    >>> Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
    >>> link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
    >>> and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
    >>> copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
    >>> then save it as aboutus.html?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Do you mean:
    >>
    >> - I am looking at your index.html page in my browser
    >> - I click the link to aboutus.html
    >> - the index.html page is replaced with the aboutus.html page
    >>
    >> If so, that's default behavior. If that is not happening then you have
    >> coded the link to specifically open a new window. If you mean something
    >> different, please explain.
    >>
    >> Do you have an online example?

    > I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
    > default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
    > the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
    > there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
    > way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.
    >

    > note: I don't have an online example at this time.

    Bottom posting would be appreciated.

    Sounds like your menu is part of the page. You need to either use
    frames (not the best approach) or one of the many techniques for
    creating menus, preferably using CSS. I'm sure others will offer their
    opinions as to what CSS technique they prefer. You can look at my site
    for a horizontal menu example. The origin of my menu system also offers
    a vertical version. See:

    http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/vertical/
    http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/tanfa_x.html

    Also, for general info:
    http://www.google.com/search?query=css menus&num=50

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 13, 2006
  6. "John" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Ed.
    >

    > Example:
    >

    > I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
    > default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
    > the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
    > there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
    > way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

    why, whats wrong with a new page appearing?

    nagasaki mike, Oct 14, 2006
  7. On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:08:13 -0400, in alt.html Ed Mullen
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds like your menu is part of the page. You need to either use
    >frames (not the best approach) or one of the many techniques for
    >creating menus, preferably using CSS. I'm sure others will offer their
    >opinions as to what CSS technique they prefer. You can look at my site
    >for a horizontal menu example. The origin of my menu system also offers
    >a vertical version.

    Or Server-Side Includes, if the host allows it. Mine doesn't.

    Is there a reference on using CSS for menu content? I've not run into
    this before.

    What is the consensus on IFRAME? I've been using that vice SSI; URL in
    sig.

    --
    William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
    The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm