Question about Making a Diskless Python Enviroment

Discussion in 'Python' started by hide1713@gmail.com, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi everyone
    We are making a disk less workstation environment which support
    python.We use PXE DHCP TFTP to boot up disk less system.There are
    three choices as i know to set up a python environment for diskless
    system.

    First Solution, Use a initrd image with everything inside as the root
    file system.Diskless computer boots up with a kernel and this rootfs
    image.If everything goes fine.We could use python in the ram disk.In
    my situation,Target computers have 2G memory and 100M network,so the
    we don't need to worry about the size of initrd image.MY QUESTIONS are
    what files and libraries do i need to put into initrd image.Is there
    any How-to file to help me install python into a initrd image or any
    available initrd image with python installed .

    Second Solution.Use a small initrd to boot up the system and use NFS
    to mount those directories on Diskless server.I guess we could use /
    etc/fstab file to make it.Though we boot up the system form
    network ,we need to mount its local hard disk to directory tree.MY
    QUESTION ARE How to mount local devices in a diskless system?Is that
    done by kernel automatically or i have to configure it in fstab?

    Third Solution.Use NFS ROOT file system to boot up .In this
    solution.We don't need initrd any more.What we are going to do is
    recompile the kernel and build those important modules inside.It is
    weird that my kernel couldn't get ip form dhcp server(it can use a
    static ip form kernel command line).I notice that pxe could get ip
    form dhcp so it must be something wrong with the Kernel.We stop here.

    The three solution above are all i could think about. Any idea about
    my questions is welcomed

    Thanks

    Best Regard

    , Jul 6, 2007