Question about mysql gem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by msiles, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. msiles

    msiles Guest

    Hi all,

    sorry if this question shouldn't be here, but when I tried to install
    the mysql gem I getting the following error

    When I ran gem install mysql

    gem install mysql
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
    Permission denied - /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/
    COPYING

    when I ran sudo gem install mysql

    ERROR: Error installing mysql:

    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
    extconf.rb
    mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/
    Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

    Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/
    mysql-2.8.1 for inspection.
    Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/
    mysql_api/gem_make.out

    I'm not sure what could be the problem :S

    thanks
    msiles, Mar 3, 2010

  2. msiles

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Mar 3, 3:30 pm, msiles <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > sorry if this question shouldn't be here, but when I tried to install
    > the mysql gem I getting the following error
    >
    > When I ran gem install mysql
    >
    > gem install mysql
    > ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
    >     Permission denied - /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/
    > COPYING
    >
    > when I ran sudo gem install mysql
    >
    > Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
    > ERROR:  Error installing mysql:
    >         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    >
    > /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
    > extconf.rb
    > mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/
    > Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h
    >
    > Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/
    > mysql-2.8.1 for inspection.
    > Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/
    > mysql_api/gem_make.out
    >
    > I'm not sure what could be the problem :S

    What version of OSX are you using?

    Do you have mysql installed either by macports or from binary package?

    If so, is mysql_config or mysql_config5 available in the path? (which
    mysql_config will tell you if so)

    To build mysql you need mysql installed.

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Mar 3, 2010