Question about Ruby2 and Rite....

Jim Frapper

I have been familiarizing myself with ruby over recent weeks. This
weekend I took a look over some slides from Matz on the future
development of ruby.

http://www.rubyist.net/~matz/slides/rc2003/index.html

From a scripter on the outside looking in, I have been wondering.....
Since Perl 6 development (and Parrot) and Ruby development (and Rite)
seem to solve very similiar if not identical problems, why would Matz
and other Ruby developers not get involved and shape the Parrot
project? Why write Ruby2 and Rite from scratch, when you could write
Ruby on top of Parrot (and help develop Parrot)?

I may be dreaming, but it would seem since the perl community has its
own share of great things (i.e. CPAN etc.)....

I don't know, I must be crazy!?

Cheers,
JF

gabriele renzi

il 22 Dec 2003 15:20:48 -0800, (e-mail address removed) (Jim Frapper) ha
scritto::
From a scripter on the outside looking in, I have been wondering.....
Since Perl 6 development (and Parrot) and Ruby development (and Rite)
seem to solve very similiar if not identical problems, why would Matz
and other Ruby developers not get involved and shape the Parrot
project?

I'm not sure if parrot and Rite would solve the same problems. For
example parrot should support MMD that is not interesting for us.

Anyway, the real reason is that matz said many times that he wants
something he can control.
BTW there is an effort to run ruby over parrot (look for "cardinal").
I hope to see both in little time anyway ;)

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:52:56 GMT, "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>
ha scritto::

I do, however, think that both the Rite and Parrot teams should keep
abreast of what each other is doing and steal liberally, so that they
don't both have to make and learn from the same mistakes in the areas
where they do overlap.

trust, this are open source/free software people, they will do it ;)
If you look in the mailing list asrchives, you'll even discover that
there are some parrot guys hangin' here.

And, more, if I recall correct Rite should be based on a design
similar to Scheme48. I hope they already did most of our yet-to-come
mistakes :D