question about state service

Adam Sandler

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Visual Web Developer 2005. I installed it
on my desktop without any issues... One of the websites/projects I'm
got handed the maintenance for is dependent upon the ASP.NET State
Server. So when I'm just developing on the localhost, I manually
start the State Server and then run the project from within VWD 2005.

I installed the same flavor of VWD on my laptop (Version 8.0.50727.42)
to take my projects on the road with me. Today, when I tried to work
on the project I mentioned above, and I went to Services, there was no
entry for the ASP.NET State Server in the Services msc.

hmmmm... was the installation of the State Server something I missed
during install; is it an option I missed selecting?

....or is there a way I can install the ASP.NET State Server after the
fact?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Juan T. Llibre

1. Could you check to see if you have aspnet_state.exe in :

systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe

?

2. Make sure you have this in your web.config:

<sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" />

Adam Sandler

Juan... thanks for the reply...
1. Could you check to see if you have aspnet_state.exe in :

systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe

I do... that file lives in C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v2.0.50727... so I it looks like I have the *.exe but not the exe
installed as a or referenced by a service in the services mmc.
2. Make sure you have this in your web.config:

I do... but what does the entry in web.config have to do with not
being able stop or start a service?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I do... but what does the entry in web.config have to do with not
being able stop or start a service?

That was just to make sure the service actually accepts state requests, *after* it's running.
After it starts running, it will not accept state requests if it's not configured.

Question for you : are you running IIS ... or just VWD's Development Web Server ?
i.e., did you install IIS 5.1 on Windows XP ?

Juan T. Llibre

If that's the case, you probably have a bad install.

Two choices for you at this stage :

1. Open a support ticket and attempt to fix the problem.

2. Nuke IIS and reinstall it

Reinstalling the .Net Framework should be superfluous, since all you really need to
do is run aspnet_regiis after you reinstall IIS, but, just to be on the safe side, I'd nuke
them both, and then reinstall both, first IIS and then the .Net Framework 2.0.

Nuking/reinstalling is probably your cost-efficient way to do it,
instead of attempting to get the StateServer service fixed.

Many times you expend far more energy trying to fix a bad install
than you would spend wiping the install and reinstalling.

Good luck, no matter which option you choose!