question about xmlrpc server: returning a list of lists to a Java client?

fortepianissimo

I have a simple xmlrpc server/client written in Python, and the client
throws a list of lists to the server and gets back a list of lists.
This runs without a problem.

I then wrote a simple Java xmlrpc client and it calls the python
server. But I can't figure out what type to cast the result (of type
Object) to. The Java xmlrpc call is basically this:

Object result = client.execute("MyFunction", params);

And I tried to replace that line with

Vector result = (Vector) client.execute("MyFunction", params);

and

ArrayList result = (ArrayList) client.execute("MyFunction", params);

and both gave me java.lang.ClassCastException.

I'm really not a Java expert - anyone can give a hint or two?

(NOTE the java client/python server works well when the returning
result is of type string - so this rules out some other possible
problems)

Thanks a lot!

fortepianissimo

fortepianissimo said:
[...]

Ok I'll answer to myself: found this message

http://mail-archives.apache.org/[email protected]>

Basically it's introduced by a bug in Apache XMLRPC 3.0a1
implementation.

Anyone knows any update on this please do post up (the message was
dated in March 2006) - appreciate it!