Question on Internet Explorer handling chr(169) in an Chinese locale PC

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by BillLi, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. BillLi

    BillLi Guest

    Hi,

    I have the following piece of ASP code
    csiPCKTD=chr(169)
    csiPCKTS=chr(174)

    ' Set XArray with Data object
    csiSDataTrsfr="G" & csiPCKTD
    csiSDataTrsfr = csiSDataTrsfr & "document" ..

    On a normal English locale PC, the above code will set csiSDataTrsfr to
    "G<copyright_symbol>document .. i.e. chr(169) is the "copyright_symbol"

    On a "Simplified Chinese locale PC, csiSDataTrsfr will be set to
    "G<chinese_char>ocument .. Beacuse IE treated the chr(169) i.e. the
    copyright symbol with the following "d" from the word "document" as a
    Chinese character

    Which cause a lot of problem in the Internet Explorer. I wonder if there is
    any way I can force the IE to treat the chr(169) and chr(174) as a single
    byte European char? On the other hand, is there a way to override the
    Chinese locale setting within IE to use European locale when handling the
    above piece of code?

    I have tried to use the Session.codepage, response.charset="Western-1251"
    statements etc, none of them are working.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    William
    BillLi, Jul 10, 2003