Question on -Xms/-Xmx and -XX:MaxPermSize in JVM start parameter

krislioe

Hi all,

I have question on the JVM start parameter, in ours we have set it
like this :

.........-Xms3072M -Xmx3072M -XX:+AggressiveHeap -
XX:MaxPermSize=1024M.........

When we say MaxPermSize = 1024M does it mean that it is taken from
3072M that I set for Xms/Xmx ?
(so that the physical memory that is taken all is 3072M instead of
4096M ?)

Or

Is it really allocated separately, so that I really have to provide
4096M ??

Thank you for your help,
xtanto

Arne Vajhøj

I have question on the JVM start parameter, in ours we have set it
like this :

........-Xms3072M -Xmx3072M -XX:+AggressiveHeap -
XX:MaxPermSize=1024M.........

When we say MaxPermSize = 1024M does it mean that it is taken from
3072M that I set for Xms/Xmx ?
(so that the physical memory that is taken all is 3072M instead of
4096M ?)

Or

Is it really allocated separately, so that I really have to provide
4096M ??

All this is virtual memory not physical memory (virtual memory not
backed by physical memory aka rotating memory works just
extremely slow).

Back to your question, which I think is a very good question !

If I read the figure in:

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html#1.1.Sizing the Generations|outline
correctly then MaxPermSize is not inclusive in Xmx.

But it is not that explicit in the text, so it would be nice if one of
JVM gurus would comment.

Arne

Tom Anderson

If I read the figure in:

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html#1.1.Sizing the Generations|outline
correctly then MaxPermSize is not inclusive in Xmx.

But it is not that explicit in the text, so it would be nice if one of
JVM gurus would comment.

I'm no JVM guru, but i do know that this is correct: there are a number of
separate memory pools in the JVM, whose maximum sizes are set separately.
They include the permanent space (set with -XX:MaxPermSize) and the
general heap (set with -X:mx). However, there are more, besides those two!
I don't know much about them, but i know they exist, because we frequently
observe apps using more space than the total of mx and PermGen. I
speculate that it could be stacks or memory allocated by native code, but
i really don't know.

Personally, i find it incredibly irritating that there isn't a flag to
limit total memory use, which is surely what people actually need. I
couldn't give two hoots about the size of PermGen, but if i have a machine
with 4 GM of RAM that's running two app server stacks in parallel, i
bloody well need to be able to put a hard limit of 2 GB (or whatever) on
each. Yes, i can probably do this with ulimit in the startup script, but
why isn't there just an option for it?

tom

Dave Miller

When we say MaxPermSize = 1024M does it mean that it is taken from
3072M that I set for Xms/Xmx ?
(so that the physical memory that is taken all is 3072M instead of
4096M ?)
No

Or

Is it really allocated separately, so that I really have to provide
4096M ??

Yes

MaxPerm sets the PermGen heap which is separate and in addition to the
main heap set with Xmx.

Arne Vajhøj

Tom said:
I'm no JVM guru, but i do know that this is correct: there are a number
of separate memory pools in the JVM, whose maximum sizes are set
separately. They include the permanent space (set with -XX:MaxPermSize)
and the general heap (set with -X:mx). However, there are more, besides
those two! I don't know much about them, but i know they exist, because
we frequently observe apps using more space than the total of mx and
PermGen. I speculate that it could be stacks or memory allocated by
native code, but i really don't know.

ordinary heap = app objects
perm heap = app class definitions

It seems obvious to me that more stuff is needed - like the JVM itself !
Personally, i find it incredibly irritating that there isn't a flag to
limit total memory use, which is surely what people actually need. I
couldn't give two hoots about the size of PermGen, but if i have a
machine with 4 GM of RAM that's running two app server stacks in
parallel, i bloody well need to be able to put a hard limit of 2 GB (or
whatever) on each. Yes, i can probably do this with ulimit in the
startup script, but why isn't there just an option for it?

All the JVM flags limit virtual memory not RAM.

But if you prefer an OOME instead of degrading performance,
then you could use that limit you want.

Arne

Tom Anderson

ordinary heap = app objects
perm heap = app class definitions

It seems obvious to me that more stuff is needed - like the JVM itself !

ISTR reading that HotSpot allocates (some of) its structures on the heap,
so maybe not as much as you might think. Or, of course, maybe much more!
All the JVM flags limit virtual memory not RAM.

Correct - as does ulimit (or rather, so does ulimit -v; ulimit -m does
affect physical memory). But RAM use cannot exceed virtual memory use, so
this is an effective way of keeping java processes the right size to fit
in RAM. And the reason to do that is the rule of thumb is to keep
everything in RAM - it's better to do more frequent GC work to keep your
app in RAM than to let it leak into virtual memory.
But if you prefer an OOME instead of degrading performance,
then you could use that limit you want.

Hang on, are you suggesting that using ulimit would lead to OOME when JVM
flags wouldn't, or that either would lead to OOME when not using a limit
wouldn't?

I don't know about ulimit; i would hope that the JVM would cope gracefully
with hitting a memory limit, ie not crashing or getting over-excited with
OOMEs. And i don't think setting a hard limit on memory use, by any
method, is likely to lead to OOME in my particular situation: as i mention
above, it will just lead to more frequent GCs. I'm talking about cutting
down memory use from 2.5 GB to 2GB, not 2.5 GB to 0.5 GB. I'm fairly
confident that my app will run in that amount of memory; it uses most of
its RAM for caches, so those can always be tuned to use less memory (i
don't think they're self-tuning, sadly).

tom

Arne Vajhøj

Tom said:
ISTR reading that HotSpot allocates (some of) its structures on the
heap, so maybe not as much as you might think. Or, of course, maybe much
more!

Correct - as does ulimit (or rather, so does ulimit -v; ulimit -m does
affect physical memory). But RAM use cannot exceed virtual memory use,
so this is an effective way of keeping java processes the right size to
fit in RAM. And the reason to do that is the rule of thumb is to keep
everything in RAM - it's better to do more frequent GC work to keep your
app in RAM than to let it leak into virtual memory.

That is good general advice.
Hang on, are you suggesting that using ulimit would lead to OOME when
JVM flags wouldn't, or that either would lead to OOME when not using a
limit wouldn't?

If the JVM will not allocate or the JVM can not allocate what
you need then you get OOME.
I don't know about ulimit; i would hope that the JVM would cope
gracefully with hitting a memory limit, ie not crashing or getting
over-excited with OOMEs. And i don't think setting a hard limit on
memory use, by any method, is likely to lead to OOME in my particular
situation: as i mention above, it will just lead to more frequent GCs.
I'm talking about cutting down memory use from 2.5 GB to 2GB, not 2.5 GB
to 0.5 GB. I'm fairly confident that my app will run in that amount of
memory; it uses most of its RAM for caches, so those can always be tuned
to use less memory (i don't think they're self-tuning, sadly).

If the app can run in MIN(Xmx,ulimit) then you should not get OOME.

But I see your point. You want to decrease paging by increasing GC'ing.

Interesting point.

I believe that a JVM should itself increase GC'ing if it notice
a lot of PF's. But I have no idea whether current implementations
actually do do.

Arne

Tom Anderson

If the JVM will not allocate or the JVM can not allocate what
you need then you get OOME.

You didn't answer my question! Do you think a limit set with ulimit will
behave differently to a limit set with mx/MaxPermGen with regards to when
OOME is thrown?
If the app can run in MIN(Xmx,ulimit) then you should not get OOME.

But I see your point. You want to decrease paging by increasing GC'ing.

Interesting point.

I believe that a JVM should itself increase GC'ing if it notice a lot of
PF's. But I have no idea whether current implementations actually do do.

I didn't even know it was possible for a user-level process to notice page
faults. Perhaps via some system monitoring interface? I certainly haven't
heard of any JVMs doing that; that doesn't mean they aren't, of course. It
would be an interesting idea, for sure, although i would worry about
unforeseen interactions between the OS's VM manager and the JVM's
anti-VM-manager - if the JVM keeps shrinking its heap to stay in physical
memory, perhaps the OS will keep shrinking its physical memory allocation?

tom

Arne Vajhøj

Tom said:
You didn't answer my question! Do you think a limit set with ulimit will
behave differently to a limit set with mx/MaxPermGen with regards to
when OOME is thrown?

No.

And I tried to answer.

will not = Xmx/MaxPermGen
can not = ulimit

At least in theory two other options exists for ulimit:
- the JVM aborts at startup
- the JVM crashes or gives another error when it can not allocate
I didn't even know it was possible for a user-level process to notice
page faults. Perhaps via some system monitoring interface?

I believe practically all the common OS's provide such an API.
I certainly
haven't heard of any JVMs doing that; that doesn't mean they aren't, of
course. It would be an interesting idea, for sure,

It seems rather logical for the same reasons you want it.
although i would
worry about unforeseen interactions between the OS's VM manager and the
JVM's anti-VM-manager - if the JVM keeps shrinking its heap to stay in
physical memory, perhaps the OS will keep shrinking its physical memory
allocation?

I don't think low paging will cause the OS memory management to reduce
physical memory allocated. That would be punishing the well-behaving
apps.

Arne