Questions of dotnet.

Mr. X.

Hello,
I would like some answers to the following, please :

1. What is the difference of thread and process ?
2. Can shared object / function be virtual ?
3. Can abstract function be virtual ?
4. What is the difference between interface and abstract class ? - need code
samples (VB / C#), please.
5. What are some main classes that comes with dotnet ? - need a code samples
(VB / C#) please.
6. I would like some examples of UserControl, please.

Thanks :)

George Ter-Saakov

1. Thread is an execution "line" for CPU. So if there are 2 CPUs then 2
threads will be executed simultaneously. .NET emulates multiple CPUs by
switching between threads.
Process is a set of execution code with memory. Obviously process must have
at least one thread, but might have multiple.

In "old" Unix process had pretty much same meaning as "thread". Not anymore.
There is a term in Unix called "green" threads. Those are same threads .NET
is referring too.

2. No. Shared/Static methods can not be virtual.

3. Abstract methods are virtual. Except that when method/class defined as
"abstract" then it can not have implementation.
Inheriting class must implement abstract method.
Virtual method must have implementation and it's not required for Inheriting
class to implement it

4. There is not much of a difference except that abstract class might
implement some methods. And interface can not.
Hence since there is not multiple inheritance you can write
class MyList : ISortabale, IList where ISortabale and IList are
interfaces.
And you can not do that if they were classes even abstract.

5. They all main classes :)

6. Just use a wizard to create it. .....

George

Mr. X.

Thanks a lot.

For question 5 - I would like some examples of some well-known classes,
please.

Thanks :)

rosoft

Hi

I'm looking on an instruction video from Microsoft for Visual Web Developer
VWD 2005 and when I try the things in VWD 2008 I miss the menu "Layout" in
the VWD 2008 (Professional Edition). I want to position the controls my self
as I would do in a normal VB program or Delphi program. How can I tell the
IDE to use style=z-porion and get it working.

It seams to be an option for this under the Options Menu and then CSS
Styling and selecting "Change positioning to absolute controls added using
Toolbox, paiste or drag and drop." But when I select this I still can't
place the control where I want. The control stills appear in the upper left
corner or after the last inserted upper left positon relative to the last
added contral.

Please Help

Lars