Quick Question for any MS boff

Hannibal_ZA

What does MS recommend we use for coding in classic ASP?

It can't be Visual Studio 2005 surely?

Griff

I actually use VS2003. Works like a treat (VS2005 you have to play around
with attaching to a process to get it to debug).

Otherwise, use VS6's Visual Interdev (though I never got on with it)

Hannibal_ZA

LOL*

I only ask because ASP support in VS2005 sucks eggs, and alot of us have now
'upgraded' to VS2005 and uninstalled Interdev and the likes...
in short, we're $#%@ed

Anthony Jones

In what way does ASP suck in VS2005?

I'm using VS2003 and I write in both classic ASP and C#. It does an
excellent job of both.

It's difficult to comprehend how VS2005 manages to do a poor job of ASP
support unless it also does a poor job of other scripts such as browser
based javascript and HTML. I hope this isn't true.

Dave Anderson

Anthony said:
In what way does ASP suck in VS2005?

I'm using VS2003 and I write in both classic ASP and C#. It does an
excellent job of both.

It's difficult to comprehend how VS2005 manages to do a poor job of
ASP support unless it also does a poor job of other scripts such as
browser based javascript and HTML. I hope this isn't true.

I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Web Developer 2005 installed on
the same machine. My initial ASP observation about 2005? It will open and
edit ASP files, but has no provision for creating new ones.

I took care of that by copying two of my corporate templates (Default.asp
and Popup.asp) into this folder:

...\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Web\WebNewFileItems\

Then I added these two lines to the end of [NewFileItems.vsdir]:

Default.asp|{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}|#14203|10|#14204|0|#6814|0|#14205
Popup.asp|{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}|#14203|15|#14204|0|#6812|0|#14205

That problem is solved. I have not tried to do remote debugging with it, but
I understand that isn't exactly straightforward.

One nice improvement over 2003: no more automatic insertion of unwanted ID
attributes.

--
Dave Anderson