    Hannibal_ZA Guest

    What does MS recommend we use for coding in classic ASP?

    It can't be Visual Studio 2005 surely?

    Hannibal_ZA, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Hannibal_ZA

    Slim Guest

    "Hannibal_ZA" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > What does MS recommend we use for coding in classic ASP?
    >
    > It can't be Visual Studio 2005 surely?

    visual studio 6

    Slim, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Hannibal_ZA

    Griff Guest

    I actually use VS2003. Works like a treat (VS2005 you have to play around
    with attaching to a process to get it to debug).

    Otherwise, use VS6's Visual Interdev (though I never got on with it)

    Griff, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Hannibal_ZA

    SMXSteve Guest

    I use Homesite.

    SMXSteve, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Hannibal_ZA

    Hannibal_ZA Guest

    LOL*

    I only ask because ASP support in VS2005 sucks eggs, and alot of us have now
    'upgraded' to VS2005 and uninstalled Interdev and the likes...
    in short, we're $#%@ed

    Hannibal_ZA, Feb 8, 2006
  6. In what way does ASP suck in VS2005?

    I'm using VS2003 and I write in both classic ASP and C#. It does an
    excellent job of both.

    It's difficult to comprehend how VS2005 manages to do a poor job of ASP
    support unless it also does a poor job of other scripts such as browser
    based javascript and HTML. I hope this isn't true.

    Anthony Jones, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Anthony Jones wrote:
    > In what way does ASP suck in VS2005?
    >
    > I'm using VS2003 and I write in both classic ASP and C#. It does an
    > excellent job of both.
    >
    > It's difficult to comprehend how VS2005 manages to do a poor job of
    > ASP support unless it also does a poor job of other scripts such as
    > browser based javascript and HTML. I hope this isn't true.

    I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Web Developer 2005 installed on
    the same machine. My initial ASP observation about 2005? It will open and
    edit ASP files, but has no provision for creating new ones.

    I took care of that by copying two of my corporate templates (Default.asp
    and Popup.asp) into this folder:

    ...\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Web\WebNewFileItems\

    Then I added these two lines to the end of [NewFileItems.vsdir]:

    Default.asp|{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}|#14203|10|#14204|0|#6814|0|#14205
    Popup.asp|{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}|#14203|15|#14204|0|#6812|0|#14205

    That problem is solved. I have not tried to do remote debugging with it, but
    I understand that isn't exactly straightforward.

    One nice improvement over 2003: no more automatic insertion of unwanted ID
    attributes.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Feb 8, 2006