    editor.

    --
    Gaffer

    Gaffer, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Gaffer wrote:

    > I have a folder with a few .asp pages in it. Can I convert them all to
    > .htm or .html without having to go over them all? I'm using Dreamweaver as
    > my editor.

    The file extension? You can change it freely - although you'll have to
    update any links to it.

    Any pages which include ASP processing instructions would still need to be
    handled as ASP or rewritten though.

    Of course; http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 5, 2005

  3. In article <utJoe.6879$>,
    says...
    > I have a folder with a few .asp pages in it. Can I convert them all to .htm
    > or .html without having to go over them all? I'm using Dreamweaver as my
    > editor.

    Dunno. What's in them? If there's server-side content odds are you'll
    knacker your site. If there's not server-side content DW might even
    rename all the links for you. Why not try it?

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Gaffer

    Gaffer Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <utJoe.6879$>,
    > says...
    >> I have a folder with a few .asp pages in it. Can I convert them all to
    >> .htm
    >> or .html without having to go over them all? I'm using Dreamweaver as my
    >> editor.

    > Dunno. What's in them? If there's server-side content odds are you'll
    > knacker your site. If there's not server-side content DW might even
    > rename all the links for you. Why not try it?
    >
    > --
    > Hywel
    >
    > Kill the Crazy Frog
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

    I don't want to edit the html code. I just want to change the page
    extensions, ie.: index.asp will now be index.htm. You get me? Can I do this?

    --
    Gaffer

    Gaffer, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Gaffer

    Gaffer Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > Gaffer wrote:
    >
    >> I have a folder with a few .asp pages in it. Can I convert them all to
    >> .htm or .html without having to go over them all? I'm using Dreamweaver
    >> as
    >> my editor.

    > The file extension? You can change it freely - although you'll have to
    > update any links to it.
    >
    > Any pages which include ASP processing instructions would still need to be
    > handled as ASP or rewritten though.
    >
    > Of course; http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

    I KNOW I can change them. It's my bloody site and I can do as I wish. But
    HOW do I change all the pages (ie.: index.asp, menu.asp, links.asp,
    htmlnonsense.asp) so that the extension changes (ie.: index.htm, menu.htm,
    links.htm, htmlnonsense.htm). Do I have to open each page, click "save as"
    index.htm and do the same for each page, or can I change them all at once.
    I'm talking about the actually file, not the html code!!

    --
    Gaffer

    Gaffer, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Gaffer wrote:
    > I KNOW I can change them. It's my bloody site and I can do as I wish. But
    > HOW do I change all the pages (ie.: index.asp, menu.asp, links.asp,
    > htmlnonsense.asp) so that the extension changes (ie.: index.htm, menu.htm,
    > links.htm, htmlnonsense.htm). Do I have to open each page, click "save as"
    > index.htm and do the same for each page, or can I change them all at once.
    > I'm talking about the actually file, not the html code!!

    Well, a bash script along the lines of:

    for x in *.asp
    do mv "$x" "`echo $x | sed s/\.asp/.html/`"
    done

    ....will probably do the job. Macs come with bash, and you can download it
    for Windows from http://www.cygwin.com/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 5, 2005
  7. David Dorward wrote:
    > Gaffer wrote:
    >> I KNOW I can change them. It's my bloody site and I can do as I wish. But
    >> HOW do I change all the pages (ie.: index.asp, menu.asp, links.asp,
    >> htmlnonsense.asp) so that the extension changes (ie.: index.htm, menu.htm,
    >> links.htm, htmlnonsense.htm). Do I have to open each page, click "save as"
    >> index.htm and do the same for each page, or can I change them all at once.
    >> I'm talking about the actually file, not the html code!!

    > Well, a bash script along the lines of:

    > for x in *.asp
    > do mv "$x" "`echo $x | sed s/\.asp/.html/`"
    > done

    > ...will probably do the job. Macs come with bash, and you can download it
    > for Windows from http://www.cygwin.com/

    Does Win have the equiv of rename?

    DESCRIPTION

    rename will rename the specified files by replacing the first occur-
    rence of from in their name by to.

    For example, given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10, ..., foo278, the
    commands

    rename foo foo0 foo?
    rename foo foo0 foo??

    will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278.

    And
    rename .htm .html *.htm

    will fix the extension of your html files.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Gaffer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:57:09 GMT, "Gaffer" <>
    wrote:

    >Can I do this?

    No

    (you seem to like simple answers)

    Andy Dingley, Jun 6, 2005
  9. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:57:09 GMT, "Gaffer" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Can I do this?

    > No
    >

    > (you seem to like simple answers)

    Agreed, NO. Yes you could rename them 'ren *.asp *.html' but chances
    are the ASP pages contain ASP server-side scripting. HTML is static, or
    dynamic with client-side scripting. The actual content code would have
    to be changed....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 6, 2005
  10. Gaffer

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gaffer"
    <> writing in

    > I have a folder with a few .asp pages in it. Can I convert them all to
    > .htm or .html without having to go over them all? I'm using Dreamweaver
    > as my editor.

    The question is why do you need to change them? After all, the ASP script
    writes HTML to the browser.

    If have any ASP code in the page at all, the browser will render it. For
    example:
    <% response.write "Hello World in ASP"%>

    will show:
    Hello World
    <% response.write "Hello World in ASP"%>

    If you are doing this because of search engines have difficulties with
    dynamic URL's then you can get a component to rewrite the URL for you.
    Look at <http://www.isapirewrite.com/>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info