Quixote demo

Ernie

I am trying out the quixote 1.0 demo in my linux box. I am able to
view the main demo page using http://localhost/cgi-bin/demo.cgi with
the HelloWorld on top of the page but I was wondering where the demo
files for simple, error, publish_error, 12, 12/factorial, etc ... as
clicking on these links result in file NOT FOUND error.

TIA,

Ernie

Ernie

Thanks a lot Harald.

That slash really amounts to so much difference (and surprises!) On
second reading of the demo.txt documentation, there is indeed a
trailing backslash. Should not the ordinary web user of a quixote web
page be insulated from this technical detail. :)

Ernie.

Ernie

Hi,

Now, this is OT (sorry). Any hints from users of quixote uing Linux
Mandrake version 9.1 (or greater) Linux distribution on how to do
successfully do the indirect running of demo.cgi? The docs say I have
to add the line in Apache httpd.conf

RewriteRule ^/qdemo(/.*) /www/cgi-bin/demo.cgi$1 [last]

Unfortunately, there are a lot of confusing places for httpd.conf's in
my system.

/usr/share/ADVX/compat/httpd.conf
/usr/share/ADVX/advx-migrate-commonhttpd.conf
/usr/share/ADVX/advx-migrate-httpd.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf
and also
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd2.conf
/etc/httpd/2.0/conf/httpd2.conf
/etc/httpd/2.0/conf/commonhttpd.conf

I picked on, say, /etc/httpd/2.0/conf/httpd2.conf and just appended

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/qdemo(/.*) /var/www/cgi-bin/demo.cgi$1 [last]

However, the http://localhost/qdemo/ does not work in my browser. I
have tried the other locations, and still no go.

TIA for any helps.

Ernie.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Unfortunately, there are a lot of confusing places for httpd.conf's in
my system.
Check the startup directory for the apache start file, find out
where it may be running from.

I'd have to shut down and reboot to get to my stale Mandrake
8.2, but I think it is /etc/init/* or such.

Try
locate apache
looking for an .rc file. (or did they drop "locate" from the
distribution, one of the more useful utilities as I recall).
/etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf
and also
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd2.conf
/etc/httpd/2.0/conf/httpd2.conf
/etc/httpd/2.0/conf/commonhttpd.conf
I'd suspect it is one of those four...
I picked on, say, /etc/httpd/2.0/conf/httpd2.conf and just appended

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/qdemo(/.*) /var/www/cgi-bin/demo.cgi$1 [last]

However, the http://localhost/qdemo/ does not work in my browser. I
have tried the other locations, and still no go.
Did you restart the apache service so it rereads the conf file?

Harald Massa

Ernie,
That slash really amounts to so much difference (and surprises!) On
second reading of the demo.txt documentation, there is indeed a
trailing backslash. Should not the ordinary web user of a quixote web
page be insulated from this technical detail. :)

Yes, he should. But the ordinary web user should also be insulated from
using cgi-bin, and should be served by scgi or medusa or twisted.

So nobody really cared to fix this trailing slash problem.

Harald

Ernie

Regarding my post below, I rewrote

RewriteRule ^/qdemo(/.*) /var/www/cgi-bin/demo.cgi$1 [last]
as
RewriteRule ^/qdemo(/.*) http://%{HTTP-HOST}/cgi-bin/demo.cgi$1
[last]

and it now works, at least on Mozilla and Opera amd in Konqueror
partly. The latter pops up a window to ask me to save or open the page
on some selections, say on "error" and "factorial".

I wonder when the majority of the Python community decide on a
preferred app/web server framework or combine the commonalities of
many rich, powerful and unfortunately fragmented choices: webware,
quixote, spyce, snakelets, webware, zope, twisted, etc? You don't
have to think or learn more than "one obvious way to do it" in Java or
PHP. When Pythonistas claim Python is indeed better for writing web
apps, what mature Python production quality package will you recommend
instead of Java or Php?

Ernie

A.M. Kuchling

quixote, spyce, snakelets, webware, zope, twisted, etc? You don't
have to think or learn more than "one obvious way to do it" in Java or
PHP. When Pythonistas claim Python is indeed better for writing web

Java is no simpler;
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/how-many-java-web-frameworks/view
lists 54 different web frameworks for Java. PHP includes web processing as
part of the core, yet googling for "PHP web framework" also turns up
multiple projects. The claim that other languages are more unified than
Python is not necessarily true.

--amk