RadioButtonList In A DataGrid Cell - Can I find the selected button without editing the cell?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Empire City, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Empire City

    Empire City Guest

    I have an ASP.NET form with a DataGrid and Button. I want to put a
    RadioButtonList in a DataGrid cell. I bind it to an ArrayList which has a
    ListItem in the cell. The display part works fine. I then check some boxes
    and hit the submit button. I can't seem to get the value that is selected on
    the RadioButton List. I don't want to use the EditTemplate thing I just want
    to click on the radiobutton and submit the form. I also don't want to do
    autopostbacks when I click on a button. Can this be done?

    I looked at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320707

    I modified the code to work with a RadioButton List not just a RadioButton.
    However from each RadioButton List when I cycle throug the GridItems it
    tells me that one of the buttons in the list was selected but I can't seem
    to get which one.

    Here is my test:

    using System;

    using System.Text;

    using System.Collections;

    using System.ComponentModel;

    using System.Data;

    using System.Drawing;

    using System.Web;

    using System.Web.SessionState;

    using System.Web.UI;

    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

    namespace DataGridRadio

    {

    public class GridList

    {

    //Constructors

    public GridList() {}

    public GridList(

    string description,

    ArrayList bValue)

    {

    this.Description = description;

    this.BValue = bValue;

    }

    //Properties

    private string description;

    private ArrayList bValue;

    public string Description

    {

    get {return description;}

    set {description = value;}

    }

    public ArrayList BValue

    {

    get {return bValue;}

    set {bValue = value;}

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid DataGrid1;

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label Message;

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button Button1;

    ArrayList blist1 = new ArrayList();

    ListItem li1 = new ListItem("aaa", "111");

    blist1.Add(li1);

    ListItem li2 = new ListItem("bbb", "222");

    blist1.Add(li2);

    ListItem li3 = new ListItem("ccc", "333");

    blist1.Add(li3);

    ArrayList blist2 = new ArrayList();

    ListItem li4 = new ListItem("ddd");

    blist2.Add(li4);

    ListItem li5 = new ListItem("eee");

    blist2.Add(li5);

    ListItem li6 = new ListItem("fff");

    blist2.Add(li6);

    ArrayList blist3 = new ArrayList();

    ListItem li7 = new ListItem("ggg");

    blist3.Add(li7);

    ListItem li8 = new ListItem("hhh");

    blist3.Add(li8);

    ListItem li9 = new ListItem("iii");

    blist3.Add(li9);

    ArrayList alist1 = new ArrayList();

    GridList gl1 = new GridList("aaaaaaaaaaa", blist1);

    alist1.Add(gl1);

    GridList gl2 = new GridList("bbbbbbbbbbb", blist2);

    alist1.Add(gl2);

    GridList gl3 = new GridList("ccccccccccc", blist3);

    alist1.Add(gl3);

    DataGrid1.DataSource = alist1;

    DataGrid1.DataBind();

    //

    //

    InitializeComponent();

    base.OnInit(e);

    }

    /// <summary>

    /// </summary>

    private void InitializeComponent()

    {

    this.Button1.Click += new System.EventHandler(this.Button1_Click);

    #endregion

    StringBuilder gridSelections = new StringBuilder();

    //Loop through each DataGridItem, and determine which CheckBox controls

    //have been selected.

    foreach(DataGridItem DemoGridItem in DataGrid1.Items)

    {

    RadioButtonList myRadioButtonList =

    (RadioButtonList)DemoGridItem.Cells[1].Controls[1];

    bool b4 = myRadioButtonList.Items[1].Selected;

    int b1;

    b1 = myRadioButtonList.SelectedIndex;

    ListItem b2 = new ListItem();

    b2 = myRadioButtonList.SelectedItem;

    int b3 = 2;

    Empire City, Apr 29, 2004

  2. RadioButtinlist has the following properties:

    SelectedItem,

    SelectedValue,

    SelectedIndex

    You can use these properties.

    Bye

    Michael

    Michael Tkachev, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Empire City

    Empire City Guest

    For some reason SelecteItem, etc. come up as nothing or null. If you look at
    the line in my code below
    > bool b4 = myRadioButtonList.Items[1].Selected;

    I tried all sorts of different settings and when it's in a DataGrid it only
    seems to return selected if one of the buttons in the list is selected.
    Trying all the suggested things below they all come back empty and I can't
    seem to get the SelectedItem. I've worked with RadioButtonLists a lot but
    not in the DataGrid.

    Empire City, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Empire City

    Empire City Guest

    Hi Michael

    Thanks for your help. A bit of persistance and I figured it out. I did not
    properly set the DataTextField and DataValueField properties of the
    RadioButtonList in the DataGrid item template. I looked at the source output
    and saw the value="" and that told me I need to set that.

    Thank you.

    Empire City, Apr 30, 2004