Rails - relations

Israel Guerra

Hi ppl.

I am noob in rails and started an app to learn. I have the following
scenario:

table client with fileds: name, second_name
table phone with fields: number, client_id
table address with fields: street, number, client_id

The migrations worked ok and the fields are created.

Now i defined in the model that

for client:
has_many :phones
has_many :adresses

for phones and adresses:
belongs_to :client

I made a form to get some of these fields and add to the database:

<% form_for:)clients) do |f| %>
<b>Name</b>
<%= f.text_field :name %>
<b>Second Name</b>
<%= f.text_field :second_name%>

<b>Number</b>
<%= f.text_field :number%>

<%= f.submit "Add" %>
<% end %>

And in the controller i try to save it to the DB:

@clients = Clients.new(params[:clients])
@clients.save

When i submit i get an error saying that number is not a method, it means it
didnt associate number with a cliente. It's not "joining" the tables.

Where did i made a mistake here?

Thanks guys.

Damjan Rems

Israel said:
[...]

1. Try asking this questions in rail snewsgroup
2. You are trying to access field from other table. The right way to
access the filed would be:
client.phones[n].number

and I don't know if this can be done with simple form.

by
TheR

Israel Guerra

Oh, it's true, i always end up mixing up rails list with ruby list!

Thanks for the tips though :)