Range-based loop optimization

Juha Nieminen

Assume that I have something along the lines of:

//----------------------------------------------------
struct Something
{
std::vector<SomethingElse> aBigVector;
std::set<FooBar> aBigSet;
};
//----------------------------------------------------

and then I inadvertently do something like this:

//----------------------------------------------------
std::vector<Something> container;
populate(container);

for(auto element : container)
// code that does not modify 'element'
//----------------------------------------------------

What I *should* have done is, of course, this:

//----------------------------------------------------
for(const auto& element : container)
//----------------------------------------------------

Or even just:

//----------------------------------------------------
for(auto& element : container)
//----------------------------------------------------

If, however, I mistakenly do it without a reference, will the compiler
be able to optimize the copying of the large elements if it sees that
they are not modified in the loop body?

If the compiler is unable to optimize the copying away, I'm thinking
that the range-based loop is way too easy to use in an inefficient manner
by mistake. This is not a very good thing.

Marc

Juha said:
[...]

I don't think it is allowed to. Copy elision happens in a very limited
set of explicitly listed cases, and they are all about omitting a
temporary when creating a new object, which isn't the case here.

On the other hand, if your copy constructor has no side effect and is
simple enough for the compiler to understand, it will optimize and
remove most of the actions of copying. It depends what is in the body
of your for loop (if it is empty...), but it would require a very
clever compiler for a std::set to fall into this category. For
std::vector<POD>, it seems almost within reach of current compilers.

woodbrian77

[...]

I've thought about that also, but probably if an author
isn't aware of it, someone will catch it in a code review.

I remember a thread a few months ago about studying code
from a project. If such an author studied this code --
http://webEbenezer.net/misc/direct.tar.bz2
they might notice the use of & in this context and
investigate it further.

http://webEbenezer.net