RAS / WebService Problem

Ian

We have developed a VB.net application for Pocket PC devices, which download
data from a VB.net webservice. We are currently implementing the RAS dial-up
functionality (using the Sapphire libraries). On a test device (a Symbol)
with a built-in modem, this works fine. The connection is made, and the data
is downloaded from the webservice.

However, on the actual device (an intermec 700c), which dials via a Siemens
MC35 modem, we get a WebException on the call to the webservice, even though
the connection is made successfully. Apart from using different hardware,
the only difference is that the Symbol modem requires the extra modem
dial-string command of +GCI=FD in the dial up connection, to set the region
to the UK. If we try this on the Siemens modem, we don't even get a dial
tone.

Has anybody used this type of modem, or can tell me the correct dial-string
commands, or has any idea why this should make a difference to a web service
call?

Thanks,

Ian.