    supposed to treat the user's input as raw text and not do any sort of
    evals?)

    Any ideas how to get a # to go through? Thanks!

    Jugdish, Dec 27, 2008

  2. On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 20:20:16 -0800, Jugdish wrote:

    > Hi, I'm having problems getting a pound sign to go through as input sent
    > to the raw_input() command. I'm running Python 2.5.1 on Windows XP.
    > Here's my simple little script:
    >
    > while True:
    > response = raw_input("Please enter a file name: ") if
    > os.path.exists(response):
    > break
    >
    > Problem is if the filename has a "#" in it, the script interprets that
    > as the beginning of a comment (not sure why -- isn't raw_input supposed
    > to treat the user's input as raw text and not do any sort of evals?)

    Yes it is. What makes you think it is being interpreted as a comment?
    What results are you getting?

    > Any ideas how to get a # to go through? Thanks!

    Works for me (although I'm not using Windows XP).

    Can you execute this line at the interactive interpreter?

    print raw_input("Type something with a hash sign: ")

    At the prompt, type "test # string" (without the quotes) and show us what
    result you get. When I do this, I get the following:

    >>> print raw_input("Type something with a hash sign: ")

    Type something with a hash sign: test # string
    test # string

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Dec 27, 2008

  3. Jugdish

    Jugdish Guest

    Ahh ok, tried out your example and it works just fine. Turns out the
    actual problem is what I was doing with the input. Elsewhere, I call
    urlparse.urlparse() on the filename past in, which splits up the
    filename where the # sign is, so that's why it looked to me like the
    characters after the # were getting stripped away.

    Thanks for your help, in the future I'll try to do a bit more
    debugging of my own scripts before bringing my problems here! :)

    Jugdish, Dec 27, 2008