rdoc doesn't recognize block comments anymore

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stefano Crocco, Oct 20, 2010.

  1. Hello to everyone.

    I just found out a strange issue with rdoc and I'm not sure whether there's
    something wrong in my system (gentoo linux) or with rdoc itself. The problem
    is that rdoc doesn't consider documentation in block comments (=begin/=end
    comments) anymore. For example, take a file with the following contents:

    =begin rdoc
    Doc for X
    =end
    module X

    =begin rdoc
    Doc for Y
    =end
    class Y

    =begin rdoc
    Doc for Z
    =end
    def z
    end
    end
    end

    If I run it through rdoc (using the rdoc gem version 2.5.11 and ruby 1.9.2),
    it tells me that I have 1 undocumented module, 1 undocumented class and 1
    undocumented method. Accordingly, the generated html files don't contain any
    description for X, Y and z. If I replace the block comments with ordinary
    comments, then everything works correctly.

    I am sure that block comments used to work with rdoc at least until about
    January this year. After that, I started using YARD as documentation system
    and didn't try rdoc anymore until yesterday.

    Can anybody reproduce this behaviour? Is this a known issue (I couldn't find
    anything neither using google nor on the RDoc project page), or a deliberate
    change in rdoc (I couldn't find mention of it in the rdoc History.txt file,
    however)? Should I report it as a bug?

    Thanks in advance

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Oct 20, 2010

  2. Stefano Crocco

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Oct 20, 2010, at 00:37 , Stefano Crocco wrote:

    > Should I report it as a bug?

    Yes.

    Ryan Davis, Oct 20, 2010