Re: CSS for positioning

Jeremy J Starcher

Jeremy J Starcher wrote:

hmmm I guess you could put a comment next to it to tell you what color
it is...

You could ... but it is better to not think about what color it is... but
rather what it means. Some reason why it looks different than the rest.

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn said:
Now it's FireFox replacing NS ... There are still some differences
in how FF displays some things as compared to IE, but they are getting
closer at least.

A more accurate statement is "there are still some differences in how IE
displays things as compared to the other browsers", not just Firefox.
The movement is with MS to get IE to comply with the W3C which all the
others had adopted long ago. It's been a slow process since MS has been
kicking a screaming the whole way. IE7 although better was still far
from supporting CSS2.1. Then IE8 still closer, but MS had to add the
"Compatibility Button". IE9 is on the horizon.

The problem as I see it is MS struggles to get IE to support what the
other browsers have supported for many years, as if the goal is a static
finish line of a race. The other browsers are not sitting and waiting
and have already adding support for CSS3 and HTML5...not sure how long
IE will lag behind, but as long as they do (or as long as MS bothers to
maintain a browser) it will complicate web design.

Jeremy J Starcher

A more accurate statement is "there are still some differences in how IE
displays things as compared to the other browsers", not just Firefox.

Very true.

Jenn

Jonathan said:
[...]

yep ... the techs at my job still won't let me upgrade to IE8 yet... not
sure what he is waiting on tho.

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn said:
yep ... the techs at my job still won't let me upgrade to IE8 yet... not
sure what he is waiting on tho.

Not sure why either! They do know you can still emulate IE7 in IE8?

F12 opens the Developer Tools and you can switch from IE8 to IE7 mode. I
have confirm that it would with a IE7 specific bug that I discovered

<http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets/msg/08cebfb39e8429c6>

This peekaboo bug only happens with IE7, not IE6 or IE8! But does show
in IE7 mode with IE8 Developer Tools. The demo page is:

<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/ver2.php>

Jenn

Jonathan said:
Not sure why either! They do know you can still emulate IE7 in IE8?

F12 opens the Developer Tools and you can switch from IE8 to IE7
mode. I have confirm that it would with a IE7 specific bug that I
discovered
<http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets/msg/08cebfb39e8429c6>

This peekaboo bug only happens with IE7, not IE6 or IE8! But does show
in IE7 mode with IE8 Developer Tools. The demo page is:

<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/l2340/ver2.php>

Interesting!

Jonathan N. Little

Jenn said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Interesting!

Yes, I guess you can categorize it that way. These little "quirks" in IE
can be a real unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

freemont

Really? What if your boss/client decided they wanted the tiny red
letters to be green?

HTML is about structured information. "extra info" is structural. 'tiny
red letters' is not.

I've got a few classes like that sitting on some older
sites. .orange, .redtext, shit like that.

And I still catch myself naming items stupidly sometimes. :) For a
small site, though, it's not as big a deal.

dorayme

What I'm telling you is that, whether you intend to or not, you *are*
exhibiting some of the behavior that is characteristic of trolls -- and thus
you should not be surprised if some people assume that's what you are.

Have trolls ever been caught in the wild and their
characteristics catalogued?

dorayme

And you should get a *clue* that you're acting like one, whether you are one
or not...

You just don't know when to give up, do you? Is that a main
characteristic of a troll? Could it be that trolling is more or
less part of many if not most usenet subscribers? Could it be
that *you* are exhibiting something closely related to trolling
when the real subject for this usenet group is surely matters
website making? There is a point at which a non-troll would stop
and a troll would go on. You go on.

Adrienne Boswell

hmmm I guess you could put a comment next to it to tell you what
color it is...

Here's something I do. At the top of my stylesheet, I have a special
class called placemark, and in that class, I have defined a background
image. That makes it easier for me to choose colors that go well
together with the image.

I have a client who is building a house, and had certain colors choosen
from the paint store. I was able to go online and using a color picker
to get the hex equivalent for those particular colors. Of course, the
paint store had given them smart sounding name like "Saint Martin Sand",
so I made a class with that name. When the client said, "Oh, I want
that sidebar to be the same color as my kitchen, which is the Saint
Martin Sand" I could get the color just by looking for that classname.
Mind you, I did not call the sidebar the color, I called it sidebar, I
just copied that color over. Now, if she decides that she wants to
paint the kitchen shocking pink, it's just a matter of changing the
sidebar div to the appropriate color.

I think it's important to have a good stylesheet editor, especially when
you are using an external stylesheet. I use TopStyle from Bradsoft
[http://bradsoft.com/top-style]. Integrated progams are nice, but I
like using separate tools, just as I separate content from presentation,
I also use different tools for the job at hand. I have a separate
stylesheet editor, I use a sql client to write and test queries, and I
preview in browsers, not the editor's native preview. I also use my
computer as a development server, and I don't upload to the production
server until everything has been tested (HTML validated, CSS validated,
passes Cynthia Says, works with different font sizes, etc.).

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Of course. I was attempting to explain to her why she was getting the
troll label. People had killfiled her, then she popped up again. And
again. It must have pissed off some folks.

Poor poor dears... I shed tears for them...

dorayme

"Jenn said:
Neredbojias wrote:

cute image ... will dorayme like it? LOL

Until boji provides me with a scoop of his brain (via sharp
teaspoon through his ear), I refuse to comment. <g>

dorayme

Jeremy J Starcher said:
And in strict mode, even closer. Quirks mode will, be definition of
quirks mode, never be terribly close.

That is exactly what that means.

Well... It does not quite mean that there must be style sheet(s)
in the sense of an external one(s) or one(s) in the head of the
document. Not that this is a good idea to do in general, rather
spoils the advantage of separating style from content, but you
can put styles inline (see below)

Then, as a stepping stone to separating style from content, you
can use inline styles rather than deprecated HTML attribute mark
up.

After a while, you will see how you are highly likely to be
wanting all or nearly all paragraphs (P element) to be the same
in style and you will then find it actually liberating to whip
all that is common in styles to the paragraphs off to a style
sheet rather than put inline styles on each and every paragraph
element.

The same point goes for all elements that are used more than once
on a page or indeed on a site, including the table element.
Suppose you have hundreds of paragraphs on your website and most
of the styles are the same (but different to what they would be
by default). In this case, it would impossible to resist to put
these styles in a central non-inline style sheet as

p {...;...;...}

And then, if just one or *very few* special paragraphs need a bit
different, to inline css those with *just the difference*.

If there are more than just one or two that require different to
the great majority, you will come to find it natural to class
those and target them in the non-inline repository of styles.

..specialClassWithAppropriateUsefulName {...;...;...}

There are sometimes easier ways to target a few elements *without
classing* those elements which you will come to recognise too and
will further help you keep good tabs on things.

freemont

Sure, I find my self doing it to.

For example, When I am setting up columns I nearly always named them
some variation of 'left' and 'right' before I realize that's stupid and
give them more descriptive names like 'lint' and 'lex'

No, really, lint is "links (internal)" and lex is "links (external)" :)

Well, descriptive to me, I guess.

Sure. Clear as mud. ;-)

If I ever inherited such a stylesheet, a comment block explaining your
naming patterns would be a great help. :)

Neredbojias

cute image ... will dorayme like it? LOL

I dunno. dorayme's fickle, like most women, and it's hard to tell
whether one appreciates anything because of their twisted nature.