Re: How to replace file header with the content of another file

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Alan Connor, May 22, 2005.

  1. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On comp.unix.shell, in <dlOje.10012$tt5.8084@edtnps90>, "John
    W. Krahn" wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anyway that I can directly replace the only file_a
    >> with the new one without generating "newfile"?

    > perl -MTie::File -e'tie@x,"Tie::File",shift;splice@x,0,10,<>'
    > file_a file_b

    This clown again!

    Right. Do it in a blink with a 20K utility, using almost no
    system resources.

    The ed script is even SHORTER than the perl script!

    echo -e "1,10d\n0r fileb\nwq\n" | ed -s filea

    Or, load up perl (how many hundreds of megs?) with all of its
    libraries into memory and wait for it to do the job.

    > John
    > --
    > use Perl; program fulfillment

    Apparently it is for idiots. Bet you use tactical
    nukes to remove old stumps in your backyard.

    There are at LEAST 145 perl newsgroups. There's ONE
    shell programming newsgroup. I'd guess that you can't
    program in perl worth a shit, so you have to pollute
    this group in the hopes that you will impress SOMEONE.

    It isn't working.

    Try spending your time studying perl instead of posting
    on the wrong newsgroups.

    AC

    --
    alanconnor AT earthlink DOT net
    Use your real return address or I'll never know you

    Alan Connor, May 22, 2005

  2. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On comp.unix.shell, in <>, "Tad McClellan" wrote:

    > [ defunct comp.lang.perl Newsgroup trimmed. Don't post there. ]

    I post where I choose to. And you live with it.

    > Alan Connor <> wrote:
    >> On comp.unix.shell, in <dlOje.10012$tt5.8084@edtnps90>, "John
    >> W. Krahn" wrote:

    >>> perl -MTie::File -e'tie@x,"Tie::File",shift;splice@x,0,10,<>'
    >>> file_a file_b

    >> There are at LEAST 145 perl newsgroups.

    > And this thread appears in one of them.

    Not until I cross-posted it there.

    >> There's ONE
    >> shell programming newsgroup.

    > This thread also appears there.

    Duh. It's above in the attribution line.

    >> I'd guess that you can't
    >> program in perl worth a shit, so you have to pollute
    >> this group in the hopes that you will impress SOMEONE.
    >>
    >> It isn't working.

    > We are certainly impressed with _your_ insightful comments.

    That's irrelevant.

    > Have you heard of "cross posting" in your vast experience?

    No. It just sort of happenned by itself. No doubt a bug
    in the newsreader I use.

    > You sure do look silly...

    Oh boy. Back to elementary school.

    Is that supposed to make me feel bad?

    Then you are even more fatuous than you appear above.

    If you don't like what I post on the Usenet, fathead, then
    eat shit.

    It's your most productive course of action.

    So far, although the sample is admittedly limited, it is looking
    as if everyone that is into perl is a conceited jerk whose
    intellectual and emtotional development was arrested somewhere in
    grade school.

    AC

    --
    Perl: In their efforts to avoid learning C, the yuppies have
    created a monstrosity that is much more difficult to learn

    Alan Connor, May 22, 2005

  3. Alan Connor wrote:
    [...]
    > If you don't like what I post on the Usenet, fathead, then
    > eat shit.

    Your wish is my command.

    **PLONK**

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, May 22, 2005
  4. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On comp.unix.shell, in <tCTje.941$>, "Alan Connor" wrote:

    "Jürgen Exner....

    Quotes around his name as well as non-ascii characters in that
    name.

    People with so little respect for the Netiquette and
    RFCs and obvious Usenet conventions, always turn out to be jerks.

    Then there's that throwaway hotmail address and the
    fact that only a jerk would respond to my post, in which
    I simply told an obnoxious punk to **** off.

    I've decided not to read your post, J\xfcrgen.

    If what I said displeases you, feel free to eat shit.

    <snip>

    AC

    Alan Connor, May 22, 2005
  5. Alan Connor

    thoomas Guest

    yeah, fuckin' retard.

    thoomas, Jun 16, 2005
  6. thoomas wrote:
    > yeah, fuckin' retard.

    Now, if you would have quoted some context like it has been a proven Usenet
    custom for over 2 decades then people might actually know what you were
    talking about....

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 17, 2005