re-start IIS 5 work process

Henry Chen

We have a web server that runs on Windows 2000/IIS 5. We have multiple site
of web application on the web server. Each site has it own assembly versions
of ASP.Net application. They are all developed with ASP.Net 1.0. When we
test a site of the application, it sometimes pops up stating that a file is
locked another process and can not be accessed. I try to stop the ASPNET_WP
process via task manager on the web server, the service will start up by
itself again. I often have to re-start the IIS to get rid of the file
locking issue. As I understand that IIS 5 runs on single work process, stop
work process means it will affect all the web site on the web server. My
questions are
1. What could be the possible causes of the file locking in the deployed
webserver? How to find out why?
2. Can I re-start the work process without re-starting the IIS. What's the
proper way to re-start the work process?
3. How can I configure the IIS 5 so that if any of the site has problem, it
won't affect the other site on same web server?
4. Is this issue addressed in IIS 6? If so, how to configure it?
Any help appreciated.
Henry