    alternative suggestions ?
    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Jan 4, 2005

  2. "Fuzzyman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a friend who would like to move and program lights and other
    > electric/electro-mechanical devices by computer. I would like to help -
    > and needless to say Python would be an ideal language for the
    > 'programmers interface'.
    >
    > What I'd like is an electronic interface that connects to several
    > relays and a python extension module to switch on and off the relays.
    > I've had a quick google and can't see anything too similar to what I
    > want. pyro (python robotics) seems to require expensive (relatively)
    > robotic equipment.

    Loosely, what you are looking for is Data Acquisition (DAQ) , Digital I/O,
    and control that you can do from your pc. Those are the keywords you want to
    google.

    Look at www.ni.com and poke around. They will have some introductory
    material.
    Look at www.circuitcellar.com . It may look a bit overwhelming at first but
    look at the ads for pc equipment. These should also lead you to some
    tutorials.

    You are looking for simple digital output. You can use an existing serial or
    parallel port with a bit of external hardware from radio shack to control
    relays on the cheap.
    OR
    You can purchase a Digital I/O adaptor that will plug into your computer bus
    and give you outputs to control your relays. You will also get
    instructions and some software to interface (talk!) to the adaptor.
    Typically you will read and write to the I/O ports on your computer to flip
    the switches.
    OR perhaps the easiest and most effective
    These would be smart devices that talk to your Python (or whatever!)
    software via the serial port. You would throw simple string commands (eg
    "ChannelB ON") at the serial port and the microprocessor based controller
    will turn on the appropriate relay.

    Your challenge from Python will be to control the computers I/O ports or to
    communicate with one of the serial ports. I'm sure someone else will point
    to libraries that will help you with this.

    Much *much* more but you have to start somewhere :)
    Thomas Bartkus

    Thomas Bartkus, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Hi,

    I have just written a python module to program the M232 measurement unit
    from elv.
    It has 8 digital I/O and 6 analog ports (0-5V). Works fine, although it
    is a little bit slow (0,2 s to measure)
    Furthermore the digital ports do not have enough power to switch a relay
    directly, I had to do it with additional transistors.
    It controls my heating together with a python program an a eletric motor
    / gearbox and some sensors.

    german store:

    http://www.elv.de/

    Type M232 into the search field.

    english:

    http://www.elv.de/shopping/elvcom/

    If you are intersted in the python code, just drop a note.

    --
    Greg

    Gregor Horvath, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Fuzzyman

    John Machin Guest

    -
    > and needless to say Python would be an ideal language for the
    > 'programmers interface'.

    Try Googling for "Python X10"

    John Machin, Jan 4, 2005

    Thomas Bartkus, Jan 4, 2005
  6. "Fuzzyman" <> wrote in message
    > I have a friend who would like to move and program lights and other
    > electric/electro-mechanical devices by computer. I would like to help -
    > and needless to say Python would be an ideal language for the
    > 'programmers interface'.
    >
    > What I'd like is an electronic interface that connects to several
    > relays and a python extension module to switch on and off the relays.
    > I've had a quick google and can't see anything too similar to what I
    > want. pyro (python robotics) seems to require expensive (relatively)
    > robotic equipment.
    >
    > Does anyone know anything *similar* to what I have in mind, or have
    > alternative suggestions ?
    > Regards,
    >
    > Fuzzy
    > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/index.shtml

    Take a look at:
    http://www.geocities.com/hagtronics/pic_das/index.html

    Very easy to interface to Python.

    Gary Richardson, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Fuzzyman, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Hey,

    If you want to do something simple, you can use your parallel port to
    control other circuitry.
    I've made an extension module before for DLPortIO which is a free lib
    for doing port IO in win2k/xp.

    I have to dig it out of my hdds/discs if you want it, but it's really
    easy to make with pyrex anyway.

    Avi.

    Avi Berkovich, Jan 5, 2005