Reaction system with jQuery only

Reaction score
Is it possible to create reaction system (like fb has) but only by using jQuery? I want reactions to be memorized, not gone. I know there is no backend to support with DB but is there a way to do this without PHP?
I saw a guy implemented such thing on his front page forum (that forum allows only html and css edit for administrators). So, if he can't use PHP, how he gathers data about how many people liked?

Reaction score
No it's not. JQuery is still JS, and still Client based script language. JS CAN NOT WRITE ON SERVER NOR ON CLIENT MACHINE.

The only execption is Browser Databases. Limited to 5 MB. But you still need to feed them with already stored stuff. So short Answer.

NOPE.

Reaction score
So why don't you ask him for solution?
He doesn't want to share code. :)
No it's not. JQuery is still JS, and still Client based script language. JS CAN NOT WRITE ON SERVER NOR ON CLIENT MACHINE.

The only execption is Browser Databases. Limited to 5 MB. But you still need to feed them with already stored stuff. So short Answer.

NOPE.
Yeah, I knew most of it. It's not server side langauge like PHP. Damn.

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew most of it. It's not server side langauge like PHP. Damn.
So why are u asking?

And "the guy" who do not want to share his code is using a server side language and either a database, or files to store stuff. There is no other way around it. There is no David Copperfield magic behind and no 100 million years advanced alien technologie. It's that simple.

Reaction score
So why are u asking?

And "the guy" who do not want to share his code is using a server side language and either a database, or files to store stuff. There is no other way around it. There is no David Copperfield magic behind and no 100 million years advanced alien technologie. It's that simple.
How can he do this on a page where he can't use php? But it does remember my input.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Reaction score
PHP is not the only Server side solution. But i highly doubt he can't use PHP. Because it's the most common server solution. What host should that be without a PHP installation?? 2 cents / month service???????

But as i said. With Javascript you can build up Browser Databases, and store and read data. So remembering your own actions isn't a big deal then. You can test this by yourself. Is the website remember your inputs the same on different browsers?

I mean, let's clearify all that for you. That's the way to start i think.

Maybe you came along the phrase "push and pull". Well that's more common for socket system and some type of AJAX. But basically all dynamic data exchange on websites is a "push and pull" system. Because you push some data to the server, while others read that data by pulling it from the server.

What is used behind the curtain to store that data (serverside PHP or ASP or whatever) and what store system is behind (database, filesystem and so on) isn't important so far. Important is, that the data can be stored, altererd and readed.

I said, pure JS can't do that. That's still true. But beside HTML5 DBASE Systems there is indeed another way which could be used by your buddys Website. And that is node.js with some modules i won't name them here, because they are highly risky and "in my opinion" "BAD WARE". With those modules you may write and read files on your server with "then" pure JS. But that's a suicidal road nobody would go voluntarily.

Because servers with such a systems can be injected, infected and even come hijacked. Two years ago a bigger company "some may know and remember who i am talking about, otherwise forget about it" lost a lot of data by JS hijacking.

So for that reason, to get back to toppic, your buddy is using some sort of server side language. If he tells otherwise, don't buy it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for such a long and descriptive reply. The forum he uses is hosted on servers he can't access. He can only create HTML and JS files. I know that because I am using same platform. Parhaps he is using local storage with JS?

Edit: I just realized it only works for his browser, he can't get updates from other users.

Reaction score
Well, change the plattform then. But that doesen't make any sense to me. It's a forum right? So one where users can exchange informations only with themselfes? As i said. There is no way that there is no PHP installed. What plattform is it? What provider? Maybe you will provide the url to that ominous forums?

Reaction score
Well, change the plattform then. But that doesen't make any sense to me. It's a forum right? So one where users can exchange informations only with themselfes? As i said. There is no way that there is no PHP installed. What plattform is it? What provider? Maybe you will provide the url to that ominous forums?
Forumotion (but I guess he use there phpBB3). Okay, here is the link:
https://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com/

Reaction score
phpBB- PHP is in the name already. There is no NO BB Forum. Somebody is telling BS to you

The point is either YOU or your buddy (maybe both) don't have the slidest clue of the matter). That's why im out now. Start with a simple "Hello World" PHP programm as all of us did. In your state of knowledge is no help available. But you may hire somebody.
Support forums have different versions to work with. I am not making anything up. Forumotion offers phpBB2, phpBB3, PunBB, Invision, ModernBB and AwesomeBB. That's something they created and gave users to work with. Without php access. What I am quite sure is your ignorance on this matter. Hello world program. :rolleyes:

I am an android developer, I am far beyond hello world programms. But yeah, go out, I felt toxic behavior by your side right away.

Ask a Question