Read output from system( ).

Dan Pop

In said:
For a moment I forgot where I was, and I accidentally gave a pragmatic reply
that would actually help the OP out of his current difficulty. I do
apologise - to you, to the OP, and indeed to the whole group. I'll try not
to make the same mistake again.

I am the last one to object to providing helpful answers, as long as they
are accompanied by the mandatory caveats, so that both the OP and any
other newbie who happens to read the answer know that:

1. The solution is platform-specific.

2. Usually, there are better platform-specific solutions (e.g. popen on
Unix systems).

Dan