reading asp.net trace

Rick Mavrovik

hi
one of the pages in my asp.net application is taking very long to load. i
want find out what is causing the problem. its probably ajax.

i am not finding the asp.net trace any useful, i mean i do not know how to
make that trace information useful in diagnosis of this problem..can any one
help me in this regard..

direct to any good resource regarding asp.net trace..

-rick

Mark Fitzpatrick

Rick,
Usually the best way to use trace is to write your own information
to the trace log. For example Trace.Write("Firing some event","here is some
data from a variable") This will get dumped to the trace log.

Trace's can be excellent in loops as you can output some relevant
data about the loop, such as what iteration you're on (good for spotting
infinite loops) and information from other variables. One of the problems
though with a trace, the entry in the log is not written until the page is
completed executing so you won't have trace info until the page is completed
or terminates due to running too long.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Rick,

Try to use HttpWatcher or Fiddler tools for this

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/