Reading RSS XML with IE

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

VK said:
Thomas said:
"The document type specification itself does not have anything to do
with the reality."

Totally right - if you're dealing with the Web. In this case there is
only His Majesty Content-Type.
[...]

Please do not drink and post.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

VK said:
Dag said:
What the hell does Content-type got to do with XML or RSS for that
sake?

Syllabically:
[...]

You are posting nonsense again, probably by purpose. The media type
of a resource has exactly NO meaning regarding the markup language
status of a document type. RSS is an XML application, it has been
developed as such and its INVENTORS itself at Harvard call it <q
cite="http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss">a dialect of XML</q>.

Please, dance faster!

PointedEars, buying popcorn shares

VK

Thomas said:
Please do not drink and post.

Please do not participate in threads if you have no clue about the
question. I see no RegExp issues here so I presume you can take a rest.

Averall it is just amazing: I gave a clear explanation why it doesn't
work and what should be changed to make it work (for IE). In response
some people are wasting their time and efforts trying to convince me
why it should work as it is. You can convince VK (OK, think you did
it). But I doubt very much what your arguments will produce any effect
on MSXML module. You can try though: sit down in front of it and scream
into monitor that "no matter what Content-Type it is - you have to
parse it as I want". I donno... miracles happen... but very rarely.

Also a big problem of IXMLHTTPRequest / MSXML is that everyone knows
about it, but the majority managed to learn it without visiting "that
terrible non-standard Micro$oft M$DN". People offen prefer to get the
data from the most fantastic sources, even from mozilla.org - just do
not visit Micro$oft. As the result some "knowledge" would amaze a lot
IE developers.

Some basic reading with samples:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/10bd8230-6092-4e69-b7b3-273315b57161.asp>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/e0e0ec4b-1431-45ec-a72c-8114a092a3c7.asp>

Andrew Poulos

VK said:
Please do not participate in threads if you have no clue about the
question. I see no RegExp issues here so I presume you can take a rest.

VK, thank you for trying to help me with my original post.

I've read all the posts and experimented with the various suggestions
offered and what Thomas et al have said, as far as I can tell, is correct.

Andrew Poulos

Dag Sunde

Andrew Poulos said:
VK, thank you for trying to help me with my original post.

I've read all the posts and experimented with the various suggestions
offered and what Thomas et al have said, as far as I can tell, is correct.

And there... we rest our case...

VK, get some sleep!

;-)

The Magpie

VK said:
Syllabically:

1) If it is *not* "text/xml" or "application/xml" (for newer IE)
Content-Type then XML Parser is not turner on and all input goes as
plain vanilla text into responseText reservoir while responseXML
reservoir remains empty.
I'm afraid you are utterly wrong. XML is a self-contained format whereas
the MIME type is a browser-related transport type and does *not* define
what is transported. Its intent is to *explain* to the browser what is
transported. Try it for yourself - set up a video on your website, give
it a nice standard format like (ugh) WMV or MPG, but don't give it a
MIME type. Your browser will still play it.

The content does not change even if the *description* of it (the MIME
type) says it does.