reading xml returned on http

J.D.

Hello,

I am working on a client project and they have a connection to a catalog
system that passes data back and forth as xml over http

The format of the data is as follow(s)
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<customer-redemption>
<partner-client>USA</partner-client>
<partner-client-participant-id>
<user-name>69</user-name>
<password>xxxxxxxxxx</password>
<user-handle>dko</user-handle>
</partner-client-participant-id>
<redemption>
<order-number>410416</order-number>
<ship-to>
<first-name>ERT</first-name>
<middle-name></middle-name>
<last-name>KO</last-name>
<address-line-1>station
dental</address-line-1>
<address-line-2>167 road 24 ste.
6</address-line-2>
<city>bobs your uncle</city>
<state-code>TX</state-code>
<postal-code>99999</postal-code>
<postal-code-ext></postal-code-ext>
<country-code>USA</country-code>
</ship-to>
<total-points-spent>18182</total-points-spent>
<date-time>2006-03-17 09:54:05.0</date-time>
<item-redeemed>
<item-number>203089</item-number>
<item-description>Pro Line Golf Ball
Retriever</item-description>
<qty>1</qty>
<price>18182.0</price>
<line-number>1</line-number>
</item-redeemed>
</redemption>
</customer-redemption>

I have worked on projects where you call a webservice and that returns xml
back to a calling page, but this is not a webservice and I was wondering if
any one had any experience with reading xml over http request, where
apparently this returned as a web page. If you could reply to this post I
would really appreciate it. Thanks.

McKirahan

J.D. said:
Hello,

I am working on a client project and they have a connection to a catalog
system that passes data back and forth as xml over http

The format of the data is as follow(s)

I have worked on projects where you call a webservice and that returns xml
back to a calling page, but this is not a webservice and I was wondering if
any one had any experience with reading xml over http request, where
apparently this returned as a web page. If you could reply to this post I
would really appreciate it. Thanks.

What do you want to do with the XML data?

Do you know about XSLT?

http://xmlxslt.sourceforge.net/
http://www.brics.dk/~amoeller/XML/xslt.html

Here's an indented listing for readability:

McKirahan said:
J.D. said:
Hello,

I am working on a client project and they have a connection to a catalog
system that passes data back and forth as xml over http [snip]
I have worked on projects where you call a webservice and that returns xml
back to a calling page, but this is not a webservice and I was wondering if
any one had any experience with reading xml over http request, where
apparently this returned as a web page. If you could reply to this post I
would really appreciate it. Thanks.
[snip]

Perhaps this link will help:
http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_examples.asp

McKirahan

J.D. said:
Hello,

I am working on a client project and they have a connection to a catalog
system that passes data back and forth as xml over http [snip]
I have worked on projects where you call a webservice and that returns xml
back to a calling page, but this is not a webservice and I was wondering if
any one had any experience with reading xml over http request, where
apparently this returned as a web page. If you could reply to this post I
would really appreciate it. Thanks.
[snip]

Here's another link:
http://www.webpasties.com/xmlHttpRequest/
Guide to Using AJAX and XMLHttpRequest from WebPasties

Also, there was an error in both of our listings:
Here's an indented listing for readability:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

There needs to be a space before "?>" in the above line; as in:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

J.D.

Thanks for the examples down below, but what I was looking for was passing
xml between two servers.
but your links were helpful.