Readonly Checkbox

John Kievlan

Well, I'm sure you guys know that the ASP.NET Checkbox
control doesn't have a Readonly property. I'm writing an
application where I need it to have, that is, I want to
be able to set the Checked property in code, but if the
user clicks on it, the checkbox won't change.

Now, I'll admit I truly don't know how to do this. I can
easily write a control where I can't set the Checked
property in code, as follows:

'--------- Begin Code --------------
Public Class CB
Inherits System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox

Dim _readonly As Boolean

Overrides Property [Checked]() As Boolean
Get
Return MyBase.Checked
End Get

Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
If Not _readonly Then
MyBase.Checked = Value
End If
End Set
End Property

Property [Readonly]() As Boolean
Get
Return _readonly
End Get

Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
_readonly = Value
End Set
End Property
End Class
'--------- End Code --------------

With that control, I can't set the Checked property in
code, but if I view a form with that control in my
browser and click on the checkbox, it checks or unchecks
as usual, which is exactly the opposite of the behavior
I'd like it to have.

Now I can't figure out how to get that functionality, or
indeed how to handle the event of the user clicking on
the control at all without posting the form back to the
server. I played with overriding the various Render
methods, but that got me nowhere.

The basic problem is that I have no clue how the control
is drawn as checked or unchecked when the user clicks it
on his/her browser. Apparently there's no postback (as I
would assume in any case), so there must be some code
that runs on the client side to handle it. Can I alter
that code? How do I get to it? Keep in mind that I want
this to be a server control, not a client control. I
really don't even need to mess with the Checked property
of the control -- if I could just prevent it from drawing
the checked/unchecked state when it's clicked, I will
have accomplished what I want, since my goal is to have a
control in which I can display boolean data without the
user having the ability to alter the visual state of the
control.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance