Really stupid newb question- <div>

Jeremy Brown

Kudos for tackling this with a text editor and not some WYSINWYG crutch.
But you might want to consider using a text editor with syntax
highlighting; it'll make your job easier.

Do you have an example of one? I have been looking for one and have beeen
having no luck. I'd like something along the lines of Firefox's Text viewer.
It shows the tags in purple, the contents of the attributes in blue and
everything else in black. KISS in action.

Jeremy Brown

I actually DO appreciate the tips he gave. Some was very helpful and I did
use it, I did thank him for it, I just felt he was being a bit condesending
with some of his comments. I tried to not come back as an asshole in my
response, but it failed.

I do know that the site is ameturish and there are sites that look a whole
lot better, modern and sharp. I am trying to get rid of the frames, I know a
lot of people hate them for good reason. The initial layout for the site was
done as a side thing in 2000. I actually did first learn HTML back in the
3.0 days and the code does reflect that. I have only recently began to bring
it forward to all the standards based (X)HTML, specifically March of this
year. I have been rewriting everything by "hand" in my spare time. It has
taken a serious amount of time to rewrite and validate each of the 30 or so
main pages (60 with the framesets) and 200 or so gallery pages.

Jeremy

--
Visit my Saab & me at:
http://jerem43.home.att.net

Blinky the Shark said:
Jeremy said:
Just an informational response:
This is (almost) never a good idea. It's the web equivalent of the old
DTP tricks for spacing things out by putting empty whitespace elements
everywhere.

That is why I wish to do. I have eliminated a ton of older styles in the
markup. I have elimanted almost all of the depreciated tags on all of the
pages on my site. I have switched just about all formatting to my style
sheet.
If you want [A} and [C] to be presented with some white space between
them, then use CSS and bigger margins (probably margin-top on [C]) to
set it. Don't create a element just to sit between them - it's
just not needed.

This is the kind of information I need. Sometimes the simple solution
often
eludes us. I honestly would not have thought to use the margin functions
in
my CSS since I am still learning how to utilize it to its full potential.
I doubt you need to, nor should, use a table here -- but that's a
separate
issue.

The artwork is 5 separate elements, not one. I know you can do that using
single image with coordinate mapping and there are other ways, but that
is
not how I wish to do so. The table works rather well in doing what I wish
do.
In general, your markup wants an overall make-over. It's pretty much
1997 style, only in XHTML.
Lose the frames.
Lose the HTML 3.2 coding style.
Lose the Transitional doctype.
Lose the <table>s
Lose the rainbow bullets.
Lose the frames.
The XHTML is OK, although many people will proceed to tell you it's
wrong.

1. I am going to dump the frames as soon as I learn how to layout the
site
fully in CSS. (see #3)
2. Please read my home page in regards to my HTML skills- I am still
learning how to do it, hence it isn't beautifully typed up. I am typing
all
of this out in Notepad, and the way I type lets me read it and know what
looking at while I work on it.

Kudos for tackling this with a text editor and not some WYSINWYG crutch.
But you might want to consider using a text editor with syntax
highlighting; it'll make your job easier.
3. I actually have a version of my site that is Strict, but it does not
look
the way I want it to yet. (see #1)
4. The frames do what I want, they validate in Transitional & Strict and
like the look.
5. How I design may page is not really the point here, I simply want to
learn HTML and have some fun doing so. I like the way my site looks. It
is
amateurish because that what it is- an amateur HTML coder presenting his
amateur automotive skills on a personal web page. I am sure that some
time
in the future I will bring the site into the 21st century, maybe 2002 or
2003, until then the layout stays- rainbow icons and all.
6. See #1 & #3

All this said, why did you need to critique my whole site when I only
asked
a question about an XHTML tag?

You got some bonus input. That's not uncommon here. Don't bitch about
it.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jeremy Brown

<voice class="small-mumbly">
its a saab not a bmw.
</voice>

jeremy

And no, I am not looking for hartwarming praise and kudos about the site.

Blinky the Shark

Jeremy said:
Do you have an example of one? I have been looking for one and have
beeen having no luck. I'd like something along the lines of Firefox's
Text viewer. It shows the tags in purple, the contents of the
attributes in blue and everything else in black. KISS in action.

I use a variant of vim.

But as for the Windows monoculture, where I rarely work, I was playing
around with Crimson Editor recently, and that looked pretty good.

(When I did do Windows, I used something called Developers Pad. It's
probably not around any more, as I never hear it mentioned in here.)

If you ask, someone will undoubtedly post the canonical list of editors
from the MIA brucie.

dorayme

Jeremy Brown said:
<voice class="small-mumbly">
its a saab not a bmw.
</voice>

oops.... I was thinking swanky rather than particular brand, Saab
will do. They are nice cars.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jeremy Brown
Do you have an example of one?

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
screem: http://www.screem.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
dirt and pointy stick: http://usenetshit.info/editor/
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

not free (I haven't checked the prices, so they may not be up-to-date):
zeus: http://www.zeusedit.com/ [$39]
textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/
[$80]

(thanks brucie)

Neredbojias

<voice class="small-mumbly">
its a saab not a bmw.
</voice>

Do you go into the specific benefits of owning such a car or is it just
another Saab story?

Jeremy

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, "Jeremy Brown" <[email protected]>
vouchsafed:

Do you go into the specific benefits of owning such a car or is it just
another Saab story?
I go into the trials and tribulations of Saab ownership. They can be
very fun to drive- great ride, fast and very configurable. They can also
be a bitch- when they go wrong, they go really wrong. Keep up healthy
and they keep running and running- 200 to 300k miles with little effort.

And by the way, that pun was wrong. Just plain wrong.

Saab
Something An Asshole'd Buy.
Stupid Auto Always Breaks.

dorayme

Jeremy said:
Keep up healthy
and they keep running and running- 200 to 300k miles with little effort.

What does this mean? In Australia, that is going for the morning
newspaper run. That is pathetic! My Ford will do 5000 K and just
need petrol (maybe a little oil)... My "English" cars and bikes
were a bit like this, always needing something or other. Good old
hardy yank tanks are the way to go for sheer reliability.

Steven Saunderson

What does this mean? In Australia, that is going for the morning
newspaper run.

Wow, 10 times round the world just to get a paper. It must be a quality
publication.

dorayme

Steven Saunderson said:
Wow, 10 times round the world just to get a paper. It must be a quality
publication.

ok... there was a k along with miles I missed, ....it was so
small! Must get new specs...

(My Ford is still in miles, the few left in this country)

Jeremy Brown

Typo I had two thoughts run together. It should have said keep up on
maintenance or keep it heathy. take either one.

JB