reasonable size for web video

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Delli, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. Delli

    Delli Guest

    hi folks, new at posting web videos; just converting from avi's down to
    WMV's and MOV's. need to post some little movies on a friend's site: want
    to give two options for both the WMV and MOV (pc / mac) users: dialup &
    broadband. using WME & QTpro for the conversions, which is going well, but
    two things I'm not sure of: bit-rate for the movies, which, I surmise, does
    a hand-shake with the person's ISP bandwidth factor, thereby optimizing
    their viewability.

    i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to broadband) for
    the bit rate of these movies. A dialup friend recently told me that her
    dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4 meg WMV movie. for
    some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the whole thing 1st. prob a
    tweak I overlooked.

    any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
    DU/BB connections?

    thanks for any comments

    Del

    Delli, Oct 19, 2007

  2. "Delli" <> writes:

    > i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to broadband) for
    > the bit rate of these movies.

    The broadband rate is fine, but that's way too high for dialup. Modems are
    rated for 56Kbps at most, and often don't even get that much from a given
    connection. Trying to stream movies for dialup often isn't worth it - you'll
    have to shrink it to postage-stamp size to get any kind of decent frame rate.

    > A dialup friend recently told me that her
    > dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4 meg WMV movie.

    That comes out to about 28Kbps - not at all atypical for dialup, especially
    in rural areas with older equipment in the exchanges.

    > for
    > some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the whole thing 1st. prob a
    > tweak I overlooked.

    The movie has a bitrate that's over seven times that of the connection - it
    may have calculated that it would have to buffer the entire movie in order
    to keep playback from catching up with the download.

    sherm--

    Sherman Pendley, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Delli

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 18, 9:05 pm, "Delli" <> wrote:
    > hi folks, new at posting web videos; just converting from avi's down to
    > WMV's and MOV's. need to post some little movies on a friend's site: want
    > to give two options for both the WMV and MOV (pc / mac) users: dialup &
    > broadband. using WME & QTpro for the conversions, which is going well, but
    > two things I'm not sure of: bit-rate for the movies, which, I surmise, does
    > a hand-shake with the person's ISP bandwidth factor, thereby optimizing
    > their viewability.
    >
    > i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to broadband) for
    > the bit rate of these movies. A dialup friend recently told me that her
    > dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4 meg WMV movie. for
    > some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the whole thing 1st. prob a
    > tweak I overlooked.
    >
    > any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
    > DU/BB connections?

    For dialup, 40 kbps is about the best you can do, and about 32 kbps is
    safer if you want to stream with a short buffering time. Some use both
    a low and high broadband stream. The low one might be 100 to 200 kbps,
    and the high one can range from about 500 to 3000 kbps. A movie of DVD
    quality would require over 10000 kbps to stream, and even much more
    for HD movies. Thus considerable compression is required even for high
    broadband. I can handle about 5000 kbps with my broadband connection,
    but others are considerably lower and a few are higher at least part
    of the time. The kbps is what is important for streaming after a short
    buffer time. I have broadband videos that are over 100 MB, but they
    stream well since the kbps download speed is large enough to keep up
    with the progress of the movie. Such a movie might work on dialup, but
    then it would have to download nearly completely before it started
    playing, and that might require many hours. The lower the kbps, the
    smaller you need to make the image. Also the portion of the the
    bandwith used by audio vs video should be considered. For a video of
    someone reading the news, the bit rate of both the video and audio can
    be kept low. For a recording of a symphony orchestra, the video can
    use a low bit rate, but the audio needs a higher bit rate if the sound
    is to be decent. For very fast moving sports, the video bit rate needs
    to be quite high, but the audio can be at much lower bit rate when
    required. For a rock concert where several players rapidly move all
    over the place, both the video and audio bit rates need to be fairly
    high.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 19, 2007
  4. Delli

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:05:22
    GMT Delli scribed:

    > hi folks, new at posting web videos; just converting from avi's down
    > to WMV's and MOV's. need to post some little movies on a friend's
    > site: want to give two options for both the WMV and MOV (pc / mac)
    > users: dialup & broadband. using WME & QTpro for the conversions,
    > which is going well, but two things I'm not sure of: bit-rate for the
    > movies, which, I surmise, does a hand-shake with the person's ISP
    > bandwidth factor, thereby optimizing their viewability.
    >
    > i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to
    > broadband) for the bit rate of these movies. A dialup friend recently
    > told me that her dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4
    > meg WMV movie. for some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the
    > whole thing 1st. prob a tweak I overlooked.
    >
    > any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size
    > for DU/BB connections?

    Discounting things like 256k or 768k dsl, 800kbps is fine for even the
    lower end of normal broadband connections. However, trying to stream video
    over dialup is futile. Possibly some Flash may work, but in general it's a
    lost cause.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 19, 2007
  5. On Oct 18, 10:05 pm, "Delli" <> wrote:
    > any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
    > DU/BB connections?

    You can have a disclaimer like: "I am sorry you have a hard time
    watching this 4 meg movie. Please download out 5 meg Powerpoint that
    explains the same thing..."

    Dialup users and video do not get a long. Unless we have a specific
    request we encode everything at 400k. Also if you switch to Flash
    video you have much more control over what your user experiences.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 19, 2007
  6. Delli

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Oct 18, 10:05 pm, "Delli" <> wrote:
    > > any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
    > > DU/BB connections?

    > You can have a disclaimer like: "I am sorry you have a hard time
    > watching this 4 meg movie. Please download out 5 meg Powerpoint that
    > explains the same thing..."
    >
    > Dialup users and video do not get a long. Unless we have a specific
    > request we encode everything at 400k. Also if you switch to Flash
    > video you have much more control over what your user experiences.

    <geez>I was on dial up for years and years and I watched more
    trailers and short movies than I do now on fastish broadband.
    Using dialup is strictly for mature people who preferably use
    tabbed browsers, have more than one thing to do at any time of
    the day and have some bloody patience. I would download 18 MB
    trailers while out shopping or sleeping or eating or turning the
    compost heap over! I downloaded a 128MB update for an OS
    overnight. No problem.</geez>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 19, 2007
  7. Delli

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 19, 4:43 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 18, 10:05 pm, "Delli" <> wrote:
    > > > any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
    > > > DU/BB connections?

    > > You can have a disclaimer like: "I am sorry you have a hard time
    > > watching this 4 meg movie. Please download out 5 meg Powerpoint that
    > > explains the same thing..."

    > > Dialup users and video do not get a long. Unless we have a specific
    > > request we encode everything at 400k. Also if you switch to Flash
    > > video you have much more control over what your user experiences.

    > <geez>I was on dial up for years and years and I watched more
    > trailers and short movies than I do now on fastish broadband.
    > Using dialup is strictly for mature people who preferably use
    > tabbed browsers, have more than one thing to do at any time of
    > the day and have some bloody patience.I would download 18 MB
    > trailers while out shopping or sleeping or eating or turning the
    > compost heap over! I downloaded a 128MB update for an OS
    > overnight. No problem.</geez>

    If you think a 128 MB download on dialup is slow, just buy an
    electronic download of Encyclopedia Britannica Deluxe or the Deluxe
    Roxio Media Suite (just a bit under 1000 MB). You likely could take a
    short vacation while Roxio downloaded on dialup :). Of course you
    would need a good UPS and and an isp that does not cut you off after a
    number of hours - some do.

    I like to think of 2 kinds of videos. The first type is used to
    hopefully help sales of something or to decorate a page. In that case
    it had better stream without much time to buffer. If the video is the
    message itself, then someone may be willing to download it, even if it
    requires many minutes or even more time. Examples might be a movie
    purchase, a video of children for their grandparents, etc.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 19, 2007
  8. Delli

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Oct 19, 4:43 am, dorayme

    > > <geez>I was on dial up for years and years and I watched more
    > > trailers and short movies than I do now on fastish broadband.
    > > Using dialup is strictly for mature people who preferably use
    > > tabbed browsers, have more than one thing to do at any time of
    > > the day and have some bloody patience.I would download 18 MB
    > > trailers while out shopping or sleeping or eating or turning the
    > > compost heap over! I downloaded a 128MB update for an OS
    > > overnight. No problem.</geez>

    > If you think a 128 MB download on dialup is slow, just buy an
    > electronic download of Encyclopedia Britannica Deluxe or the Deluxe
    > Roxio Media Suite (just a bit under 1000 MB). You likely could take a
    > short vacation while Roxio downloaded on dialup :).

    Well, actually, my point was that on dial-up, with the right
    attitude and management, and within reason, the download was
    instantaneous. You command the download and next time you look,
    there it all is, fat 'n sassy and ready to roll... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 19, 2007
  9. Delli

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:25:38
    GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:

    > I like to think of 2 kinds of videos. The first type is used to
    > hopefully help sales of something or to decorate a page. In that case
    > it had better stream without much time to buffer. If the video is the
    > message itself, then someone may be willing to download it, even if it
    > requires many minutes or even more time. Examples might be a movie
    > purchase, a video of children for their grandparents, etc.

    For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 20, 2007
  10. On Oct 19, 11:12 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

    There's porn on the web?

    Travis Newbury, Oct 20, 2007
  11. Delli

    rf Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 19, 11:12 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

    > There's porn on the web?

    Yep, lots of nasty pages in dirty raincoats poping up and FLASHing at
    unsuspecting viewers :)

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 20, 2007
  12. rf wrote:

    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 19, 11:12 pm, Neredbojias <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

    >> There's porn on the web?

    > Yep, lots of nasty pages in dirty raincoats poping up and
    > FLASHing at unsuspecting viewers :)

    Huh? They're not selling raincoats? :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 20, 2007
  13. Delli

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:12:39 GMT
    Travis Newbury scribed:

    > On Oct 19, 11:12 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

    > There's porn on the web?

    According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course, although
    Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his familiarity with
    said hypotheticality.

    --
    Neredbojias

    The 16th century French satirical writer Fran├žois Rabelais in his series of
    novels Gargantua and Pantagruel, discussing the various ways of cleansing
    oneself at the toilet, wrote that: "He who uses paper on his filthy bum,
    will always find his ballocks lined with scum"

    Neredbojias, Oct 21, 2007
  14. On Oct 20, 7:26 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > > There's porn on the web?

    > According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course, although
    > Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his familiarity with
    > said hypotheticality.

    I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 21, 2007
  15. Delli

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:02:22
    GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

    >> > There's porn on the web?

    >> According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course,
    >> although Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his
    >> familiarity with said hypotheticality.

    > I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

    Gosh, I hope he wasn't corrupted. They say one can become very, uh,
    abusive or self-degrading by even a glimpse or two of defrocked
    fleshpottery.

    Neredbojias, Oct 21, 2007
  16. Delli

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 7:26 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > > > There's porn on the web?

    > > According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course, although
    > > Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his familiarity with
    > > said hypotheticality.

    > I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

    You filthy minded individual. Why don't you get a life and stop
    watching all that stuff.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 21, 2007
  17. On Oct 21, 3:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

    > You filthy minded individual. Why don't you get a life and stop
    > watching all that stuff.

    Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
    see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
    adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
    the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
    Travis.

    It was my 15 seconds of fame!

    Travis Newbury, Oct 22, 2007
  18. Delli

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Oct 21, 3:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

    > > You filthy minded individual. Why don't you get a life and stop
    > > watching all that stuff.

    > Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
    > see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
    > adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
    > the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
    > Travis.
    >
    > It was my 15 seconds of fame!

    You also featured in a film called Overboard. Your father had
    conned Goldie Hawn into thinking she was the mother of a family
    of naughty little boys. You were the oldest if I recall. Boy o
    boy were you lot naughty!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 22, 2007
  19. On Oct 21, 11:04 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
    > > see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
    > > adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
    > > the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
    > > Travis.
    > > It was my 15 seconds of fame!

    > You also featured in a film called Overboard. Your father had
    > conned Goldie Hawn into thinking she was the mother of a family
    > of naughty little boys. You were the oldest if I recall. Boy o
    > boy were you lot naughty!

    I haven't a clue what you are talking about...

    Travis Newbury, Oct 22, 2007
  20. Delli

    > On Oct 21, 11:04 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> > Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
    >> > see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
    >> > adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
    >> > the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
    >> > Travis.
    >> > It was my 15 seconds of fame!

    >> You also featured in a film called Overboard. Your father had
    >> conned Goldie Hawn into thinking she was the mother of a family
    >> of naughty little boys. You were the oldest if I recall. Boy o
    >> boy were you lot naughty!

    > I haven't a clue what you are talking about...

    Not many people ever do ;-)

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 22, 2007