reasonable size for web video

Delli

hi folks, new at posting web videos; just converting from avi's down to
WMV's and MOV's. need to post some little movies on a friend's site: want
to give two options for both the WMV and MOV (pc / mac) users: dialup &
broadband. using WME & QTpro for the conversions, which is going well, but
two things I'm not sure of: bit-rate for the movies, which, I surmise, does
a hand-shake with the person's ISP bandwidth factor, thereby optimizing
their viewability.

i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to broadband) for
the bit rate of these movies. A dialup friend recently told me that her
dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4 meg WMV movie. for
some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the whole thing 1st. prob a
tweak I overlooked.

any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
DU/BB connections?

thanks for any comments

Del

Sherman Pendley

Delli said:
i'm working in the range of 200Kbps to 800Kbps (dailup up to broadband) for
the bit rate of these movies.

The broadband rate is fine, but that's way too high for dialup. Modems are
rated for 56Kbps at most, and often don't even get that much from a given
connection. Trying to stream movies for dialup often isn't worth it - you'll
have to shrink it to postage-stamp size to get any kind of decent frame rate.
A dialup friend recently told me that her
dialup connection (aol) took 20 min to download a 4 meg WMV movie.

That comes out to about 28Kbps - not at all atypical for dialup, especially
in rural areas with older equipment in the exchanges.
for
some reason it didn't buffer & play, it dl'd the whole thing 1st. prob a
tweak I overlooked.

The movie has a bitrate that's over seven times that of the connection - it
may have calculated that it would have to buffer the entire movie in order
to keep playback from catching up with the download.

sherm--

cwdjrxyz

[...]

For dialup, 40 kbps is about the best you can do, and about 32 kbps is
safer if you want to stream with a short buffering time. Some use both
a low and high broadband stream. The low one might be 100 to 200 kbps,
and the high one can range from about 500 to 3000 kbps. A movie of DVD
quality would require over 10000 kbps to stream, and even much more
for HD movies. Thus considerable compression is required even for high
broadband. I can handle about 5000 kbps with my broadband connection,
but others are considerably lower and a few are higher at least part
of the time. The kbps is what is important for streaming after a short
buffer time. I have broadband videos that are over 100 MB, but they
stream well since the kbps download speed is large enough to keep up
with the progress of the movie. Such a movie might work on dialup, but
then it would have to download nearly completely before it started
playing, and that might require many hours. The lower the kbps, the
smaller you need to make the image. Also the portion of the the
bandwith used by audio vs video should be considered. For a video of
someone reading the news, the bit rate of both the video and audio can
be kept low. For a recording of a symphony orchestra, the video can
use a low bit rate, but the audio needs a higher bit rate if the sound
is to be decent. For very fast moving sports, the video bit rate needs
to be quite high, but the audio can be at much lower bit rate when
required. For a rock concert where several players rapidly move all
over the place, both the video and audio bit rates need to be fairly
high.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:05:22
GMT Delli scribed:
[...]

Discounting things like 256k or 768k dsl, 800kbps is fine for even the
lower end of normal broadband connections. However, trying to stream video
over dialup is futile. Possibly some Flash may work, but in general it's a
lost cause.

Travis Newbury

any opinions on bitrate for progressive DL movies and/or max file size for
DU/BB connections?

You can have a disclaimer like: "I am sorry you have a hard time
watching this 4 meg movie. Please download out 5 meg Powerpoint that
explains the same thing..."

Dialup users and video do not get a long. Unless we have a specific
request we encode everything at 400k. Also if you switch to Flash
video you have much more control over what your user experiences.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
You can have a disclaimer like: "I am sorry you have a hard time
watching this 4 meg movie. Please download out 5 meg Powerpoint that
explains the same thing..."

Dialup users and video do not get a long. Unless we have a specific
request we encode everything at 400k. Also if you switch to Flash
video you have much more control over what your user experiences.

<geez>I was on dial up for years and years and I watched more
trailers and short movies than I do now on fastish broadband.
Using dialup is strictly for mature people who preferably use
tabbed browsers, have more than one thing to do at any time of
the day and have some bloody patience. I would download 18 MB
trailers while out shopping or sleeping or eating or turning the
compost heap over! I downloaded a 128MB update for an OS
overnight. No problem.</geez>

cwdjrxyz

<geez>I was on dial up for years and years and I watched more
trailers and short movies than I do now on fastish broadband.
Using dialup is strictly for mature people who preferably use
tabbed browsers, have more than one thing to do at any time of
the day and have some bloody patience.I would download 18 MB
trailers while out shopping or sleeping or eating or turning the
compost heap over! I downloaded a 128MB update for an OS
overnight. No problem.</geez>

If you think a 128 MB download on dialup is slow, just buy an
electronic download of Encyclopedia Britannica Deluxe or the Deluxe
Roxio Media Suite (just a bit under 1000 MB). You likely could take a
short vacation while Roxio downloaded on dialup :). Of course you
would need a good UPS and and an isp that does not cut you off after a
number of hours - some do.

I like to think of 2 kinds of videos. The first type is used to
hopefully help sales of something or to decorate a page. In that case
it had better stream without much time to buffer. If the video is the
message itself, then someone may be willing to download it, even if it
requires many minutes or even more time. Examples might be a movie
purchase, a video of children for their grandparents, etc.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
On Oct 19, 4:43 am, dorayme

If you think a 128 MB download on dialup is slow, just buy an
electronic download of Encyclopedia Britannica Deluxe or the Deluxe
Roxio Media Suite (just a bit under 1000 MB). You likely could take a
short vacation while Roxio downloaded on dialup :).

Well, actually, my point was that on dial-up, with the right
attitude and management, and within reason, the download was
instantaneous. You command the download and next time you look,
there it all is, fat 'n sassy and ready to roll... <g>

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:25:38
GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:
I like to think of 2 kinds of videos. The first type is used to
hopefully help sales of something or to decorate a page. In that case
it had better stream without much time to buffer. If the video is the
message itself, then someone may be willing to download it, even if it
requires many minutes or even more time. Examples might be a movie
purchase, a video of children for their grandparents, etc.

For cryin' out loud! You forgot porn!!

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:12:39 GMT
Travis Newbury scribed:
There's porn on the web?

According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course, although
Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his familiarity with
said hypotheticality.

--
Neredbojias

The 16th century French satirical writer François Rabelais in his series of
novels Gargantua and Pantagruel, discussing the various ways of cleansing
oneself at the toilet, wrote that: "He who uses paper on his filthy bum,
will always find his ballocks lined with scum"

Travis Newbury

According to the rumour. I wouldn't know first-hand, of course, although
Duende once made a comment which led me to suspect his familiarity with
said hypotheticality.

I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:02:22
GMT Travis Newbury scribed:
I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

Gosh, I hope he wasn't corrupted. They say one can become very, uh,
abusive or self-degrading by even a glimpse or two of defrocked
fleshpottery.

--

Travis Newbury said:
I knew a guy who's brother's friend once saw porn on the web.

You filthy minded individual. Why don't you get a life and stop
watching all that stuff.

Travis Newbury

You filthy minded individual. Why don't you get a life and stop
watching all that stuff.

Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
Travis.

It was my 15 seconds of fame!

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Here is some interesting trivia for everyone. If you would like to
see the real Travis you need to rent "Caught in the act" It is an
adult film from 1978. In the bar scene sitting on the stool next to
the 2 lesbians talking you will find a fresh out of high school
Travis.

It was my 15 seconds of fame!

You also featured in a film called Overboard. Your father had
conned Goldie Hawn into thinking she was the mother of a family
of naughty little boys. You were the oldest if I recall. Boy o
boy were you lot naughty!

Travis Newbury

You also featured in a film called Overboard. Your father had
conned Goldie Hawn into thinking she was the mother of a family
of naughty little boys. You were the oldest if I recall. Boy o
boy were you lot naughty!

I haven't a clue what you are talking about...

TrimKetoBoost