Recommend a simple Perl IDE

colin

Any recommendations for a simple Perl IDE for X11?

I've been using nedit for most of my perl projects, it's a good clean
editor with syntax highlighting and parenthesis matching. It does lack
a feature I would really like in a Perl editor: tracking/indexing of
variables and subroutines across single or multiple files. Ideally that
feature would be implemented with another pane or window with
collapsable hierarchal lists of the subroutines and variables.

I've looked at some of the Big Perl IDEs (komodo, eclipse/epic,
slickedit) they all seem to be massive overkill for my needs. I just
need a basic Perl savvy editor as explained above. I do most of my work
on SGI IRIX, but I also have Solaris, FreeBSD, and Linux systems so
it's trivial for me to run an X11 app on its native platform and export
the display to my desktop workstation.

Any recommendations?

Christopher Nehren

Any recommendations for a simple Perl IDE for X11?

GVIM with the tags script that comes with vim
( /usr/local/share/vim/vim63/tools/pltags.pl ) works wonderfully.
There's also a bit of code documented in a vim tip (
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=450 ) which I've found to be
absolutely invaluable. And there's also
http://mamchenkov.net/wordpress/2004/05/10/vim-for-perl-developers/ and
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=257782 . These links should
probably go into the FAQ.

Best Regards,
Christopher Nehren

Anno Siegel

Christopher Nehren said:
GVIM with the tags script that comes with vim
( /usr/local/share/vim/vim63/tools/pltags.pl ) works wonderfully.

An alternative to .../pltags.pl is the module Vi::QuickFix (on CPAN).
Both allow Vim to jump directly to error locations that were output
by Perl.

Anno

Christopher Nehren

GVIM with the tags script that comes with vim
( /usr/local/share/vim/vim63/tools/pltags.pl ) works wonderfully.

Uhm ... replace that with your path to your vim installation. Thanks to
Anno Siegel for indirectly pointing it out to me.

Best Regards,
Christopher Nehren