recommend aural browser?

Leslie

Can anyone recommend a good aural browser that's available for free
download and will work under Windows XP Pro?

Thanks,

Leslie

Chris Morris

Leslie said:
Can anyone recommend a good aural browser that's available for free
download and will work under Windows XP Pro?

IBM Home Page Reader has 30 day trial download. That should be enough
for you to use it, test sites in, learn what it's like and how you
need to adjust your style to make things easier for speech browser
users.

Leslie

IBM Home Page Reader has 30 day trial download. That should be enough
for you to use it, test sites in, learn what it's like and how you
need to adjust your style to make things easier for speech browser
users.

I'll d/l the trial version this weekend, but I'd still like to know if
there is a free aural browser that won't time out in 30 days - and
will work under XP Pro.

Thanks!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Leslie

IBM Home Page Reader has 30 day trial download. That should be enough
for you to use it, test sites in, learn what it's like and how you
need to adjust your style to make things easier for speech browser
users.

I've d/l and installed IBM HPR and have spent the past hour or so
listening to some of my web pages. What an education!

I'd like the opinions on what users of aural browsers find is the best
layout. Most of my pages have navigation links on the left with the
main body of the page on the right, and then nav links again at the
bottom of the page. This seem pretty straightforward to me, but then
I can see what it is the browser is reading to me.

In addition to making my pages conform to current accessibility "laws"
and any new ones that will come down the pike in the future I'd also
like to make sure that they are laid out so that they make sense to
anyone who can only hear them.

Comments??

Thanks,

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Spartanicus

Leslie said:
In addition to making my pages conform to current accessibility "laws"
and any new ones that will come down the pike in the future I'd also
like to make sure that they are laid out so that they make sense to
anyone who can only hear them.

Switch your monitor off.

Trusylver

Nico Schuyt said:
What is the advantage above Lynx?
Nico

It is an aural browser which is what the OP was asking about

I test in Lynx as well but to realy know what it is like for
a blind person to surf your page it is helpfull to close your eyes or
turn off your monitor.

Leslie

It is an aural browser which is what the OP was asking about

I test in Lynx as well but to realy know what it is like for
a blind person to surf your page it is helpfull to close your eyes or
turn off your monitor.

When I first listened to my pages I did turn my back to the computer,
and to be honest, found it all to be very confusing. I did learn that
my alt tags should be more precise, but since I know these pages like
the back of my hand I could easily visualize where the reader was on
the page.

I'd truly like the opinions of those with no or low vision on what
makes a page easy to understand and navigate. I suppose if I was more
adept at using an aural browser (and the keyboard commands to stop the
speech and move around) I wouldn't find it all so confusing.

I hope I never have the need to use an aural browser, but I'd like to
know that pages I write are easy to use, navigate and are enjoyable
for those with little or no vision.

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Nico Schuyt

Trusylver said:
"Nico Schuyt" wrote in message
It is an aural browser which is what the OP was asking about
I test in Lynx as well but to realy know what it is like for
a blind person to surf your page it is helpfull to close your eyes or
turn off your monitor.

Ahh, I thought it was a text only browser. Interesting! I'll try it
tomorrow.
Thanks, Nico