Recommendations on SSH for Java

Ramon F Herrera

I would like to hear recommendations -or lack thereof- about the
different SSH for Java implementations out there.

Here's my data point: Years ago, the SSH protocol for Java was too
new, and I decided to write my client-server app based on RSH instead.
I chose the iNet Factory from JScape which since then has been
appropriately discontinued.

One of the candidates to replace my RSH layer would be the new SSH
from the same company (about $600-$2500). Too rich for my blood...

What about the free OSS implementations? Are they any good?

All I need is to execute one command from a GUI Java client to a Linux
host and retrieve the multi-line results.

-Ramon

Arne Vajhøj

Ramon said:
I would like to hear recommendations -or lack thereof- about the
different SSH for Java implementations out there.

Here's my data point: Years ago, the SSH protocol for Java was too
new, and I decided to write my client-server app based on RSH instead.
I chose the iNet Factory from JScape which since then has been
appropriately discontinued.

One of the candidates to replace my RSH layer would be the new SSH
from the same company (about $600-$2500). Too rich for my blood...

What about the free OSS implementations? Are they any good?

All I need is to execute one command from a GUI Java client to a Linux
host and retrieve the multi-line results.

There are several free SSH implementations for Java to pick from:
http://www.javassh.org/space/ssh
http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sshtools/
http://www.cleondra.ch/ssh2/
http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/jssh/

I have not tested them so I can not recommend one.

Arne

Abhijat Vatsyayan

Ramon said:
I would like to hear recommendations -or lack thereof- about the
different SSH for Java implementations out there.

Here's my data point: Years ago, the SSH protocol for Java was too
new, and I decided to write my client-server app based on RSH instead.
I chose the iNet Factory from JScape which since then has been
appropriately discontinued.

One of the candidates to replace my RSH layer would be the new SSH
from the same company (about $600-$2500). Too rich for my blood...

What about the free OSS implementations? Are they any good?

All I need is to execute one command from a GUI Java client to a Linux
host and retrieve the multi-line results.

-Ramon
We used to use jsch but then moved to ganymed which in my opinion
behaved much better.

Roedy Green

What about the free OSS implementations? Are they any good?

There are all kinds of them. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ssh.html

Usually you get a free trial. You can benchmark them yourself.

I would expect the fastest ones would have a bit of native code
written in C or assembler, perhaps that use some of the parallel
processing features of the chip.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"For reason that have a lot to do with US Government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction."
~ Paul Wolfowitz 2003-06, explaining how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war to a gullible public.