Recommended Device for Learning to Program

Siegfried Heintze

What is a recommeded model of pocket PC or phone to get started with
software developmenet for mobile devices?
Thanks,
Siegfried

Andrew Enfield \(MS\)

Broad question that probably doesn't have a simple answer, but here are some
quick thoughts:
- if you want to play around with things, you can use the emulator that you
get w/ development environments like eMbedded Visual C++ or Visual Studio
..NET 2003. you don't need a device.
- most recent PPCs will be fine for most general development
- some Smartphones aren't unlocked for development (so it can be hard to run
third party apps), so if you're interested in one of these devices, make
sure you do enough research so you're not disappointed.

also, all of the above assumes you're doing client-side development -
writing apps that run on devices - using something like eVC or VS .NET, not
doing ASP .NET work (this newsgroup's focus). there are better newsgroups
for application development, like (among others)
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework,
microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer, and
microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc.

Siegfried Heintze

Thanks! I've recieved responses on similar queries for those other
newsgroups you mentioned. I suppose, however, if I'm going to buy a Pocket
PC or phone, that I'll want to experiement and learn about server side too.
Can someone give me a URL to give me an overview of server side issues for
mobil clients? Obviously, I would expect WAP and WML programming to be a bit
topic for this newsgroups. Are there other topics of concern for server side
mobile client programmers?

Can Visual Studio help me develop WAP/WML sites?

Is WAP/WML strickly an issue for phones, or do other devices use this
technology too?
Thanks,
Siegfried

Andrew Enfield \(MS\)

This newsgroup _is_ the correct newsgroup for the ASP .NET WAP/WML (and
cHTML, etc.) functionality. Through this technology, you can use VS .NET to
author with WAP/WML. I have a page on a personal site that uses this
functionality and I view it from my phone just fine.

That's not a complete answer to your question, but hopefully it helps - you
can find out more with more research.