Record sound in web pages, how?

Bin Chen

Hi,

I am seeking how to record sound in web pages. I know java applet is
very powerful, but google tell me if i want to record audio from web
page, i need to have a certification. Because they scare if somebody
place a hidden applet in a web page then all of the sound in user's
room will be recorded.

Any alternatives?

Thanks.
Bin

Andrew Thompson

Bin Chen wrote:
I am seeking how to record sound in web pages. I know java applet is
very powerful, but google tell me if i want to record audio from web
page, i need to have a certification. Because they scare if somebody
place a hidden applet in a web page then all of the sound in user's
room will be recorded.

With good reason.

Sign the code, then convince the visitor to
accept the digitally signed code that can
eavesdrop on them.

As an aside.
What does this code *offer* to the end user?

If I were your end-user, what compelling
'must have' ability does it offer that would
convince me to allow you to eavesdrop
on the sounds going through my PC?

Note that I *have* actually asked users to
trust code that allows my web start app. to
'listen in' to the system sound - but the reason
I offer is quite cute (though trivial) and compelling.
The software offers a pretty visual trace of the
sound, an oscilloscope*.

Of course, the average end user** has to trust that
the code is not doing anything more than displaying
the sound back to them - if they do not trust me, the
'game is over' before the app. ever launches.

* <http://www.physci.org/sound/audiotrace.html>

** A web savvy and experienced Java developer
could check and confirm it.
Any alternatives?

Hopefully not.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Roedy Green

I am seeking how to record sound in web pages. I know java applet is
very powerful, but google tell me if i want to record audio from web
page, i need to have a certification. Because they scare if somebody
place a hidden applet in a web page then all of the sound in user's
room will be recorded.
Just signing. It is not that difficult. You can even use a phony
certificate. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/signedapplets.html